Search

Can Fodors please split up...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Fodors please split up...

..."Africa" from "Middle East"?

Seriously now; all those Egypt threads are annoying. And I guess anyone talking about Egypt will say the same about our safari-threads.

Thanks,

J.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM

Agree. I don't find the "Middle East" threads so much "annoying" but more in the way, taking up one of the few 25 listed topics. Let's do it Fodors.

regards - tom
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM

The coveted 25 slots on the main page is really important for those of us who can only visit here a few times a month. Once posts go into Archive I do not have the motivation to search through them looking for a posts where I may add some value.

So, yes. Splitting would be a great idea to help keep only relevant posts on the main page.

Also, I notice some of these trip reports drag on and on and on. May I suggest folks finish their reports and post it in one setting? Some here have figured out by posting a paragraph or two at a time their reports stay on top forever and this also takes up valuable real estate.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM

Yes, please split out the Middle East from Africa
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM

agree - would appreciate the Middle East section to be separated as well.

THX in advance for consideration/action

SV
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM

I agree about safari vs non-safari related locations - two forums.

Also, Eben, your point is noted - that's not why I have been adding to my trip report every few weeks though (real reason is I do it as time allows), but your point is noted & I will finish it in word, and then post the remainder all at once.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM

Another vote for splitting Africa from Middle East! Don't understand why it was not done during the design change of a few months ago. It seems like the Africa/Safari discussions and participation are not as numerous and "rich" as a year or so ago. Just my humble opinion.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM

I actually like the "split up" trip reports as they are easier to read and allow people to comment on specific aspects of the trip reports. Something less likely to happen if a whole report is in one post. Geez.....no one would have ever read my Italy trip report if it was all in one post!

As for splitting the areas up - I don't really care. Egypt is Africa. Egypt is the Middle East. So it can go either way. And there are people who combine Egypt and a safari.

If there was a split, it would have to be something like - "Middle East/Egypt".
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM

It's periodically that you get a whole lot of Egypt (or Middle East - Israel, Jordan, Syria, etc) thown in with safari. Besides, there are many who combine Egypt with safari... often East, but sometimes Southern. For that matter there are those only interested in East Africa and couldn't care for any Southern African threads... do we separate these and then what about those (if few) for Western Africa?

I'm fine with the board as it is. If there's something specific I'm seeking, I can simply search for it or scroll thru. Much as I do when I visit other Fodor's Forums. Would you separate France from Europe or New York City from the US?

Bigger issue is those "25 only" threads on the first screen.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM

I agree, sandi - the big issue is the limited threads on the first screen.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM

Gotta agree with sandi and Grcxx3( this is getting tobe a habit!)
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't object to a split, but what about Morocco, Libya and Tunisia? They're Africa geographically, but Middle East culturally. Maybe the split should be Africa/Middle East - safari related, and Africa/Middle East - non-safari, but that would probably be a bear to keep straight.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM

thursdaysd ...I beat you by a plsit second !!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM

I like the current format of Africa/Middle East. Seems like the question about splitting is really Safari vs Other.

I prefer that people post trip reports in installments. I'm much less likely to read an entire trip report in one sitting, the length of the post would be overwhelming.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM

Yes, the 25 post main page limit is the culprit but a 50 post main paste will only be somewhat better.

Since these limits won't go away and splitting Africa is not a clean solution either, IMO it will help if we all show some constraint especially with looong trip reports that last for months.

There is so much technology out there. Write the report on a free blog or a free web page then create a link and post that link here and be done with it! Fodors is not the best forum for trip reports anyway. You cannot add pictures, videos, etc.

Or is this too much to ask?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM

I think a lot of the reason trip reports go on for a while is that people add posts - making comments, asking questions, etc. I like that. Also, a lot of people start a trip report, then get sidetracked, and might not come back to complete it for several weeks. For some trip reports (like TeacherCanada) - a lot of us really look forward to the additions.

While it would be nice to add photos to these trip reports, I am not very likely to click on a link to someone's blog or whatever.

The search function here is not perfect, but I have usually been able to find whatever I need by a couple of quick searches. And when looking for something related to a particular country, the drop-down menu at the top works just fine from what I can see.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Fodors is not the best forum for trip reports anyway." Totally disagree! I started coming to fodors FOR the trip reports. And I like them in pieces. This is clearly a YMMV issue.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM

Yes, but there is room for only 25 spots on the main page.

I request we must be fair to all who post here, and read here and comment here. Not all of us can follow Fodors minute by minute every day of the week.

Some very relevant posts/questions/answers quickly get moved out of the way to be replaced by the same old threads over and over again.

"I am not very likely to click on a link to someone's blog or whatever.

I disagree. If someone post a link to a trip report of a place I am interested in I will definately go read it. Especially if it has nice pictures and an interesting , readable layout. If I don't, it simply means I wasn't that interested in the report anyway.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM

If you click the "view all activity" at the bottom of the list of 25, you get all the posting activity for that day and then you can go to previous days' postings as well.

The problem - for me - with trip reports on a blog is that it makes it difficult to comment or ask questions because there is no text on Fodor's to refer to. I think that would be very awkward and just not as interesting.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM

I also would like to see Sub Sahara Africa be split from the Middle East/Northern Africa.

As far as how people post their trip reports;
As a recent first-time trip poster, who posted in installments I found the feedback I got from my installments to be both helpful in determining what people were interested in reading, as well as motivating for me to finish the report. It took me a lot of time to do the report, and I am not sure I would have posted as "in-depth" a report if I had just done it in one post. But thou no one was being forced to read it, I do understand that it was taking up one of the coveted 25 slots.

amy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -