Camp Jabulani?

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camp Jabulani?

Has anyone been to Camp Jabulani, or heard any first-hand experiences? I just read that people can choose whether to venture out in a Land Rover for a game drive, or on the back of an elephant.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:24 AM
sandi

Camp Jabulani is relatively new. Right near Kampana Research Center near Hoedspruit airport on way to Manyeletti Reserve at Kruger. Yes they do have elephants, and is a new addition to camping in SA.

Seems they are copying what they do at Addo Camp in Botswana. It's probably quite expensive as someone has to pay for food for the ellees. I know at Addo they have a minimum stay of 5-days and the price is about $6000 - $7000 person.

Whether you want to spend your safari time atop an ellee is a big decision. From a few friends who did Addo - the first ride was interesting, but it's not all that comfortable up top for long stretches of time. Sure you can go in Land Rovers, but you'll be paying for ellees and those are at premium rates. Can't comment re the accommodations, as the PR piece placed emphasis on the ellee-back safaris.

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 11:18 AM
sandi

...sorry for confusion - the camp name in Botswana is Abu, not Addo - wrong country.

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Camp Jabulani looks okay, but a person can do a lot better for 6,000 ZAR per person per night sharing. These are nearly Singita/Londolozi prices, but neither the lodge nor the suites look on the same level.

A better alternative may be to stay nearby at the Royal Malewane, and it is possible to do an elephant back excursion at Camp Jabulani while staying at Royal Malewane, although I do not have a confirmed price for this extra activity yet.

http://www.royalmalewane.com/pages/activities.php

The rack rate for the Royal Malewane is 5,450 ZAR pp per night sharing. I would say even if it cost 1,200 ZAR pp for the elephant back excursion that it would be worth it to stay at the Royal Malewane for what amounts to only $100 USD pp per night extra.

The only possible drawback would be if Camp Jabulani offers this as an included activity IN ADDITION TO morning and evening game drives. It seems that at Royal Malewane, it will probably be IN PLACE OF a morning or evening game drive, so it is possible that Camp Jabulani takes all of their guests at a certain time while subbing out this activity to surrounding lodges for different parts of the day.

However, if it were possible to do this without affecting the game drives at Royal Malewane, then Royal Malewane looks a lot nicer.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:09 PM

I have had the pleasure of visiting Camp Jabulani, Royal Malewane, Londelozi, Sengita, Sabi Sabi, Mateya Safari Lodge and Camp Jabulani. Camp Jabulani is the most genuine & sincere camp and there is no other Camp to beat a ride on Elli back on a comfortable seat thru the bushes. What an experience it is, not just an Elephant ride, it is a total EXPERIENCE. You cannot judge by the PR or pictures (or sour grapes if you cannot get a freebie). You have to experience it first hand, go you will love the Elephant back safari at Camp Jabulani. It a warm-hearted lodge retreat that welcomes you to a world of inner peace and a rich variety of animal and bird life. Delightfully different combining atmosphere of old world charm with a unique modern style.

A majestic span bridge sets the scene for a warm welcome to this exceptional retreat, enhance by the personal service and attention to detail.

The Lodge build under thatching grass to compliment the African ambience sets the scene for relaxation and rejuvenation. Luxury en-suite accommodation ensures privacy and an intimate atmosphere, and are beautifully decorated with the finest in furniture and fittings for the ultimate in comfort and refinement.

The resident chef personally prepares healthy, yet delicious meals and caters for all dietary requests.

Game drives in the reserve with experienced game rangers provided sightings of lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros, buffalo and other game.

I experienced the excitement of viewing the big five from the height of the majestic gentle giants devoid of all unnatural noises with the occasional flap of ears reminding me of a saying I heard many years ago “IN HARMONY WITH NATURE”.

I have traveled extensively and have yet to experienced a combination of what Camp Jabulani offers which can only be described in a category of ~ COMFORT, LUXURY & PRESTIGE.

A wild life experience featuring game drives in an open Land Rover, and an excursion on the back of trained elephant on comfortable seating, what more for the call of the wild but to return to Camp Jabulani where emphasis is placed upon gracious hospitality, unique cuisine and personal attention from the welcoming and friendly Camp Jabulani team.

A must for all!

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I am looking for information on camp Jabulani. The OP is quite old so I'm topping this. The most recent response sounded like an employee who copied something out of a brochure. Any other experiences or opinions recently? Thank you!
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Just a heads up. There's a current luxurylink auction for this camp that ends tomorrow - http://www.luxurylink.com/auctions/a...=133295&save=1