Reload this Page >

Cairo - so many mosques so little time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 11:20 PM
Ivan

There are so many mosques in Cairo, can anyone recommend one or two to visit, I have only three days in Cairo. Egyptian musuem(will like to do it properly), Pyramids at Giza, Saqqarah and memphis are the attractions I plan to visit. Anywhere esle I should not missed? (I am not into bargaining or shopping)

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 12:24 AM
Bitten

Did you say mosques or mosquitoes? Plenty of both -- you have been warned. <BR>Let's not talk about the flies; plenty of those as well.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 04:26 AM
Clarissa

Make sure you visit the Citadel which includes the Mohammed Ali Mosque.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:01 AM
SST

Sultan Hassan Medersa, Ibn Tulun Mosque, El Azlar Mosque, Qala'um Mausoleum or El Mu'ayyad Mosque. Any of those mosques will give a taste of Islamic Cairo. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Tom

My vote goes with Mohammed Ali as well. Beside it's history and the intriguing beauty of the architecture, inside and out, the stained glass is lovely, and the view from the hill it sits on is spectacular. Great photo shots...and don't forget...you have to take off your shoes when you go in.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Francois

Alright, every one has to do Mohammed Ali mosque since it is monumental and the most famous mosque in Cairo, but it is only a pale imitation of the Ottoman mosques. For the genuine article, visit the Suleyman Pasha Mosque just down the road from Mohammed Ali Mosque, this is the first cupolated Ottoman mosque but also its most beautiful. <BR> <BR>Ibn Tulun Mosque also gets my vote for its unique minaret, square tower with external spiral staircase and elegantly decorated arches. It is the oldest mosques (876-9) and the only one of its kind in Egypt. <BR> <BR>If you have time to spare, seek out An-Nasir Mohammed Mosque, El-ishaqi Mosque and El-Maridani Mosque. <BR> <BR>The mosques are sacred places for Egytian Muslims, please observe the strict dress code - attires cover both knee caps and shoulders. Have a nice trip.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 06:18 AM
Ivan

Thanks you all for your contributions.