Search

Buying a little *BLING* in J'Burg SA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a little *BLING* in J'Burg SA

Hey all,

I have a super-cool wife who has been amazingly understanding and tolerant of my travel. As a token of appreciation, I wanted to buy her a diamond (maybe earrings) when I was in Jo'burg. I have not bought a diamond since her wedding ring and that was a nightmare (luckily I have some $$ saved). BUT can you actually buy diamonds at a decent price in SA? I know they are usually cut elsewhere, so I have no idea if buying in Jo'burg is a deal or like buying in London or NYC. I AM smart enough not to buy from a dude on the street, a guy who's brother runs a gem shop, a homeless man, or a tuk-tuk driver (joke). Can anyone make any recommendations or let me know if I should just wait till I get home and deal with it there.

Thanks much for any advice.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM

Even in NYC where I can walk into any shop on 47th Street for "sparklies", I wouldn't without a recommendation of a responsible jeweler... and I don't.

I too was tempted when in SA to consider a gift to self, but just couldn't bring myself to do so. Would hate to get home and find out I had a piece of glass and then what would I do? Hop a plane and return to SA to complain.

From my own experience, you can do well right at home at well-known jewelers, that don't have names as Cartier or Tiffany's. Macy's and Fortunoff's (and many others... get recommendations) can do justice for some lovely ear bobs!

My friend lived in SA for 2/years and it wasn't till about 6/months before returning to the States that she found a jeweler with whom she felt she could do business.

That's not to say, a trinket isn't a lovely idea, but you'd better know what you're buying and from whom, anywhere.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM

Why not purchase just the stone/stones while you are there and let her pick a setting when you get home. Or instead of diamonds, why not something like Tanzanite that I understand is going up in value.
Speaking of gem dealers, does anyone have any info on Trevor Shaw Diamonds?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM

no super-cool wife, but some good friends want some gold from Dubai. Is it safe or wise to buy gold in the souks in Dubai?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM

My understanding is that it is safe to buy gold or diamonds in Dubai. Emirates rules on fraud are very strict so its not in the stores interest to cheat.

The shops will overpower you! Damas has western style designs mostly in 18 carat. The others in the Gold souk have mostly 21 or 22 carat with very Indian/eastern designs. The gold and diamond market is easily accessible and air conditioned.

Miriam
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM

I bought gold in the Dubai souk a few years ago. No problems at all and very good value if you haggle.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM

I had a friend "that had a friend" that worked at one of the South African diamond mines. He brought back a diamond that he thought was a steal. It was an incredibly poor quality diamond (I have friends that are wholesale jewelers - they taught me well, I even have my own loop and he paid the exact same thing he would have paid here.... If you don't know diamonds - I wouldn't try to get a "deal" there. If you know a jeweler that has contacts there, and they'll share them - then that is okay... My jeweler friends speak alot about the fraud on stones in South Africa and Colombia (the Emerald source). I think you are amazing for thinking about this - but I would probably buy something gold instead (a bit more trustworthy). They have some wonderful jewelry stores in J'burg, but I wouldn't buy diamonds from them.....
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Hi Dennis,

Another gift from Dubai i recommend taking back home is the dried fruits (dates, in particular). The brand you are looking for is Bateel. They have fancy ones too....stuffed with pistachos etc etc., and they are permitted by USA customs. I have carried them, myself.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM

thanks Hari! Will look for those.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info all. Think I will stick to gold or maybe tanzanite, and leave the diamonds for back home.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Same holds for Tanzanite. If you don't have a reputable jeweler, you may return with a piece of lavendar glass.

Stick with gold.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Just returned from Tanzania Safari bought some great Tanzanite at the cultural center in Arusha not at bargan prices But Just to say it came from "Tanzania" Hope to return in two years and try some different lodges and go to Zanzabar this time SANDI always enjoy your input loved your pictures recognized the"yellow salad bowl sinks at Kikoti lol Loved it there and we also enjyed Mbalageti
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM

I know this guy called Tom Shane "he's my friend in the diamond business"
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I know this guy Ray Morales who can get you diamonds, tanzanite or gold. And he's sexy too!
Leslie
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM

His bling contacts were in Zambia right?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Oh, I'm sure "Rocco" would go out of his way to get contacts in any country, so long as you send him a deposit.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM

LOL
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM

you're bad! LOL!