Search

Bushmen of Southern Africa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushmen of Southern Africa

I have just finished reading 'The Healing Land by Rupert Isaacson' and 'The Bushmen of Southern Africa -Slaughter of the Innocent by Sandy Gall'. Both books are extremely touching and highlight the modern history and plight of the Bushmen in Southern Africa.

The Khomani Bushmen of South Africa in a landmark land restitution deal were handed over 100000 hectares of ancestral land by the SA government in 1999. The community have the right now to roam this land. Part of this land has been set aside for tourism and the !Xaus Lodge is a result.

Unfortunately the Namibian and Botswanan bushmen are still suffering. The bushmen of Botswana were evicted from CKGR into new settlements by the government under the pretext of conservation of game in CKGR. The fact that, diamonds have been found under the desert and a new mine is being opened is never discussed. In a landmark High Court ruling in Botswana in 2006, the evacuation of bushmen from CKGR was declared illegal and the government was asked to help relocate the bushmen into the reserve to resume their hunter-gatherer way of life. Despite this, precious nothing has happened. The very recent examples of harrasment and torture of bushmen is simply appaling and unacceptable and is a side of Botswana that we as tourists never see. I think, we can make a difference.

I have started off by visiting www.survival-international.org which is a UK based NGO working for rights of endangered communities across the world. They are working with the bushmen as well. Please also have a look at http://www.iwant2gohome.org which the website of the First People of Kalahari, a bushmen organisation fighting for rights of the bushmen.

Moreover, certain UK politicians and US senators have been lobbying the Botswanan government to put an end to this. You can use links on the Survival International website to write to your senators/MP's. Europeans can write to their MEP's to put pressure as well. EU grants for beef purchase are an important lifeline to Botswana.

PS - I know these books present one side of the story and I am going to try and research the Botswanan governments side of the story as well.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Hello

I would love to make a comment on your message.

I think the government have done something. Their problem though is that the bushmen are not what they used to be. They do not have a problem (from what I understand) with Bushman living their traditional lifestyle in their traditional areas but the Bushmen will not do that. They now know about money and will do things like sell animal products and rely more on a more western type of life. They will not live like they should hence the problem. Difficult situation and topic for great debate but when I was told this it makes a lot of sense.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM
sniktawk

Nice to hear some good comment on SA makes a change.
The abuse of bushmen by Botswana will continue whilst all the propaganda fed to tourists is believed.(Democracy , no corruption, free schools and medical care etc.)

Nevertheless the settlement of land claims is a two-edged sword.
In SA, many areas of Kruger are under discussion (threat) and may be handed back to the original inhabitants, judging by the recent past this means that they will be taken over by Wilderness or their kindwho will pretend that they are supporting the local community. Access to the general public will be gone, forever.

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM

There are worldwide problems with (and I'm not sure what the politically correct term is) bushmen, aborigines, native Americans, etc.

In the US, we have decided to deal with the issue by turning Native Americans (aka Indians) into croupiers and operators of gambling dens. There's been no attempt, whatsover, to integrate the two societies, and I have never heard a Presidential candidate comment on the plight of Native Americans -- they must have too few votes to garner attention. Has any major party candidate even campaigned on a reservation?

In any even, sadly, the situation in southern Africa is not unique, and there is, and will continue to be, serious tension between those seeking to live in their traditional ways and more "modern" societies.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

jackssid2 - You make a very valid point. A large number of bushmen are integrating into modern society and thats a choice they choose to make. However the government contention that none of them live the traditional lifestyle seems a bit far fetched. Surely in a country the size of Botswana and in a reserve the sie of CKGR (50000 sq km), some land can be set aside for those that want to return to their roots. Governments are in the unenviable position of having to deliver health and education to their citizens and yet preserve the interests of those that want to live simple lives.

sniktawk - valid point about Kruger and land settlement agreements. The Pafuri concession results in an income of 8% of revenues or 20% of profits to the community. Seems like a good deal to me (subject to fine print).

I have found out that Survival International offices are a 5 minute walk from my work, so I am going to pay them a visit.