Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kenya Itinerary (Aug/Sept 2006) - please advise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Before anyone reading this thinks I'm crazy for only doing a week in Kenya, remember that I'm in the UK (8 hour flight, minimal jetlag) so a week is doable. I've already committed the majority of my holiday time next year to Botswana, so this has to be a short (and relatively inexpensive) trip.

I'm trying to decide between two itineraries for my week in Kenya. They are (ex-Nairobi):

OPTION 1
3-4 nights Rekero (for the migration/crossings)
3 nights Little Governors or Kichwa Tembo Bateleur (for the big cats)
1 night in Nairobi (Giraffee Manor?)

OPTION 2
3-4 nights Rekero
3 nights Laikipia -- either Loisaba or Lewa Downs (which would you recommend?)
1 or 2 nights in Nairobi (I'm not sure if I'll need a night in between the two areas -- it will depend on how the transfer works)

Questions:

Which itinerary?

3 or 4 nights at Rekero?

Which camp at Laikipia?

Drive or fly between Mara and Laikipia?

Is August or September a better time to go for the migration? Which one has cooler weather?

My budget is about £2000 ($3600 at today's exchange rate), though I'd like to stay under that if possible. The best quote I've gotten so far for Option 1 is from Southern Cross Safaris, $3022 single for 3xRekero and 3xLittle Governor's ($2457 sharing, if anyone's curious). They haven't come back with a quote for Option 2 yet.

Several people on this board have mentioned that Southern Cross is a good opertor, but I haven't seen any trip reports from people who have travelled with them. If you have, please let me know how you liked it!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:54 PM

I don't think it would be possible or comfortable to drive from the Masai Mara to the Laikipia region all in one day. You'd need to break the drive up somewhere in between. Also depends on where in Laikipia you're staying as it covers a wide range of area. Have you seen this map?

http://www.laikipia.org/map-of-laikipia.htm

There are scheduled flights into Lewa but for many of the Laikipia camps, you'll need a charter. The cost for a one way charter is about $250 from Nanyuki, so you could take a scheduled flight from the Masai Mara to Nanyuki, charter Nanyuki to Laikipia camp, charter back to Nanyuki, and scheduled flight from Nanyuki back to Nairobi. I believe this is how it would work.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:14 PM

hi, no not crazy at all. the reason. i have some time left this yr. i am leaving the east coast on sat oct15th. get there sun eve. we drive to the mara mon morn. i am staying there till sat morn.
back to nairobi sat eve. leave for the states mon eve.
so, i would say. stay in the mara the whole time. you won't be sorry.
cheers, david
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, Patty. I've seen the map in the Bradt guide, but this one is much more detailed.

It sounds like the Laikipia option may be more expensive than I had realised because of the transfer costs.

Have you been to Laikipia? How would it compare to the Mara for big cat sightings? I've heard that leopard sightings in Laikipia are particularly good, particularly in the Loisaba area.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:44 PM

No, I haven't been, sorry.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Julian:

We are also thinking of going to Kenya in August. Have never gone to Africa before. Little Governor's camp looks great for wildlife.

If I may ask, why is Rekero attractive?

Thanks,

Kevin
California, USA
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Dear Julian, I have been to the mara many times and it is wonderful. Try to go in september and spend the entire week in the mara. In the choice of camps/lodges split between one inside the reserve and the other one outside the reserve to have night game drives. Kichwa would be my best guess, good luck!!!! Sonali.