bottle water---ASAP

Jun 11th, 2000, 07:08 PM
Mike

bottle water---ASAP

Hello All,

Myself and a few other people are heading to egypt in a week and we heard that the bottled water tastes yucky. can anybody verify this and if you can, what should we do/bring to help?
Thanks,
Mike

Jun 12th, 2000, 08:34 AM
Rudy

Taste is a matter of....well....taste. We got back a couple of weeks ago, and found the bottled water fine. Could your friends have bought an unsealed bottle that had been refilled. You should be able to get a large bottle for LE 1.50. Pay no more than LE 2.00. Like almost everything in Egypt, when they see you are a tourist, many will try to get as much as they can. I found myself even bargaining for a bottle of water. I never wanted to pay over 2.00. But before you buy, check the seal to make sure it hasn't been opened and refilled.

Jun 12th, 2000, 10:20 AM
Louise

We were supposed to go to Egypt in February but had to cancel because of a death in the family. The tour operator we were to go with recommended taking packages of Kool Aid to add a bit to the water to make it more palatable. I still have my unused supply for next year, I hope.

Jun 12th, 2000, 11:08 AM
Mike

Thanks all, i'll tell our party about this. Thanks Again,
Mike

Jun 12th, 2000, 06:44 PM
Tom

Hi,

We brought CountryTime Lemonade mix and mixed it with the bottled water. The lemon flavor also helped quench our thirst.

Jun 12th, 2000, 08:42 PM
JenniferCastro

I just returned from Egypt, the bottled water did not taste great, especially when it was hot. I brought Country Time Lemonade and powdered Gatorade. The lemonade to make the water taste better and the Gatorade to replenish our bodies while we were exploring the temples in the hot sun. Worked wonders!!!

Jun 14th, 2000, 08:16 PM
mike

Thanks again all. this really helps

Jun 27th, 2000, 12:35 AM
Cris

Small help from an expat living in Egypt since 5 years. As somebody else said, taste is a matter of taste.
And in Egypt, like everywhere else, there are at least 15 different trademarks of bottled water. Personally I prefer Cristallina, I don't like the taste of Baraka.
But don't spend your money in bringing powders or strange addictives, isn't worth.
Enjoy your trip!

Jun 27th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Robin

Hey Mike-- This is more trouble than taking KoolAid, but have you seen the personal-sized water filter bottles? They work like a Brita pot, and are about the size of a bike water bottle (but heavier). It's bulky, and may not be worth it, but if you like plain water...

Jun 27th, 2000, 10:17 AM
Robin

Woops! Mike's long gone!

Jun 29th, 2000, 11:59 AM
Alistair

We have just returned from egypt and found that most of the bottled waters are actually made by most of the bigger companies i.e schweppes, volvic, aqua albeit they are bottled in egypt however I certainly found no problems with the taste.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:14 AM
Dick

We just got back last nite. Bottled water was okay. We took along gatorade but never used it. If our two teenage daughters drank it plain it must have been okay. Often we would buy from our bus driver for $1 for the 1.5 liter bottle. It was a bit more in the hotel/boat but... Just make sure that if you buy it from a street side shop or vender that it is still sealed. Open it your self to make sure.

Search this Thread