Botswana - help with Camps and Month selection

Nov 20th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Botswana - help with Camps and Month selection

Hi,
I am new to this forum, so thanks in advance for any input and help. We are planning a trip to Botswana in 2019 and have two questions. First, between mid-May and early-November, which time frame is better for game viewing? Second, in mid-May we have an option of doing Duma Tau (2 nights), Chitabe (2 nights) and Vumbura Plains (3 nights). Would you recommend tweaking this differently? Availability seems very limited, as you can imagine and the peak season pricing is sky high!
Nov 21st, 2018, 08:22 AM

I stayed 3 nights at each of Duma Tau and Little Vumbura in late August/early Sept, so I can't speak to May. I think you would have to ask about water levels at that time of year. Little Vumbura is a more mixed camp, whereas Vumbura Plains is land (although I think those guest were offered access to mokoro). I know the Linyanti area is considered better outside the green season, just not sure of what the situation is at the beginning of the dry. When we were there, they offered boats on the river. I would think that November would not be as good a time as May, given that it can be hot/humid and the potential for rains to start. However, I know some people like it because there can be discounted rates that time of year.

It think you have a great selection of camps and at 7 nights, the only thing you might do is change to 3 nights at Duma Tau if possible since you have 5 nights in the delta (but with the caveat above about the season). I know people rave about the game drives at Chitabe, to which I've not been, but the Vumbura area was quite productive for us, with lion, leopard (our first cub), cheetahs, wild dogs, and sable (which were the reason we chose the concession to begin with).
Nov 22nd, 2018, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply! I've read that the area around Duma Tau (Linyati) is great in November but less so in May. So, if we go in May, we might lean more towards the Delta Camps. And good to hear of your experience of Little Vumbura. I am looking into this further and of course, have to balance our selections with availability.
Nov 26th, 2018, 06:22 AM

I was at Vumbura Plains last year in May and could not have had a better safari. No mokoro but there was a boat ride through the channels. The entire camp is superb. Same trip we visited Mombo and Zarafa and VP was my favorite.

Who are you using as a safari planner or are you planning yourself? I ask because sometimes the more experienced local agents can find space when there appears to be none... We book thoough a Capetown agency; going back again next September.

Search this Thread