Botswana-Duma Tau or Kings Pool?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Duma Tau and Kings Pool and can tell me which one you would recommend? We will be there for two nights next June. I've studied the Wilderness web site and read many of the posts here, and each of these camps have their own advantages, but there seems to be a few complaints on the posts here about the management at Duam Tau-anything to this? Obviously, Kings Pool is a little more expensive, but does look beautiful. I realize that the game viewing could just be a matter of luck at either camp. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM

hi brandywine,
the 2 camps are very close to each other so in terms of game viewing they will be very similar. the decision imo comes down to whether you want to pay for more luxurious accomodations at kings pool. everything else will be nearly identical. in fact when we visited kings pool and told our guide that we really wanted to see wild dogs, he drove us over to duma tau to view them as they happened to be in that area at that time.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Hi Brandywine

Big country is right on, while you are there it might be worth asking if you can visit the Savuti hide, its only an hour away.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM

We stayed at several Wilderness properties in Aug.03 including Duma Tau, Chitabe Trails, Jao and the River Club. Duma Tau had the best game viewing and we had "Mr. T" as our guide with 20yrs of experience-he knew absolutely everything. Duma Tau's management just did not seem to be as experienced or professional as the others and if you can see the same game from King's Pool, I'd go there instead.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 08:49 AM
DJE

We stayed at Kings Pool in July '03 shortly after the renovation. The accommodations are lovely, the staff were wonderful and the game viewing was plentiful. Also an abundance of birdlife at least from what we heard in the surrounding trees each morning.

I don't know about Duma Tau but at KP we were able to do night drives as well arranging a bush walk one morning. This was a nice chance to get a little exercise after a lot of time spent in the vehicles. Three of the four camps we stayed at during our safari experience were Wilderness camps and each was well run and we wouldn't hesitate to stay at their properties in the future.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I think we decided on Kings Pool. So for Botswana, we will have two nights at Little Vumbura and 2 nights at Kings Pool.