Botswana and Zim safari decisions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
lbj

Hi all,

I have come up with my planned itinerary for 2007, currently getting some rough pricing. My major dilemma is when to go, realistically, i want to go in May, when there is still some green for photography. However, as you will see by my plans, some places should be left until later in the year. Im thinking of making two shorter trips to get the best of both worlds.

Option 1:

2 nights Chitabe
2 nights Mombo
2 nights Little Vumbra
3 nights Zib
3 Nights Lebala
1 night Chobe River Front
3 nights Makalolo Plains

Option 2

May:

2 nights Chitabe
2 nights Mombo
2 nights Vumbra
3 nights Makalolo

October

3 Lebala
3 Zibalianja
3 nights in the Delta

The main concern i have is visiting the Linyanti in early season, where game viewing can be unpredictable. Especailly this year considering the large rains. MAybe i should do option 1 in June/July. GEt the chance to see the Wild dogs denning and the flood arrive.

Any advice would be much appreciated. August and September is unfortunately a no go due to work committments!

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM
johan_belgium

I would do two trips one in March/April and one in July.

I would do the following: go late March early April to Mombo (as long as possible). You still got the odd shower but everything is still green and you can still reach most places on Chief's island. You can't be disappointed with gameviewing at Mombo of course even that time of year. Combine this with a stay at f.e. Kwetsani.

Last year I've seen the floods coming in at Boro West (Chief's island in mid April.

In July (seond part) I would go to Zib/Selinda - Lebala and Chitabe to maximize your chances to see the dogs denning.

If predators are what you are looking for you can't be disappointed with these choices.

Greetings,

Johan

Greetings,

Johan

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:14 PM
santharamhari

lbj,

Mombo should be awesome......

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but, johan......end August, do the dogs still den or are they mobile with pups?

Wonder if i will hv luck with them........

Hari

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:26 AM
johan_belgium

Hari,

End of August they are probably mobile with pups.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
lbj

Johan,

I think that I am going to do it all in one go and plum for late June/early July. I think rearranging it so it goes as follows would be my best plan.

3 nights Makalolo
1 night Chobe river front
2 nights Chitabe
2 nights Mombo
2 nights Little Vumbra
3 nights Lebala
3 nights Zib

I think by doing the Linyanti last i am maximizing my chances of seeing some very small and cute wild dog pups!

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
santharamhari

Lbj,'

Assuming that's the total number of nights you have for your trip, i'd rather use that 1 night Chobe river front to add on to Chitabe. 2 nights in each camp is probably too short.....

Hari

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
johan_belgium

If you want to see the pups, I would go as late as possible in July (if August is not possible for you).

Do you have a specific reason to go to Makololo and the Chobe riverfront?

If not, I would skip that and do the following:

- 3 nights Chitabe;
- 5 nights Mombo;
- 5 nights Lebala;
- 3 nights Zib or Selinda.

Although I still think it's better to split up the trip. I know it's a lot more expensive but it can make a difference.

The trip you planned is still a very nice one so you gonna enjoy it anyway.

Probably we see each other in one of the camps: I'll be at the following ones in June 2007 -Mombo/Chitabe/Selinda/Jacana.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM
lbj

Hi again,

Makalolo is somewhere that i really want to go. Hwangie has such a special reputation that I would like to see what it is all about. The reason that I have choosen the Chobe River Front is logisitcal. Getting from a morning game drive in Hwangie to Chitabe in the afternoon would be a tight squeeze.

If i was to drop nights in certain locations, i would have to be Chitabe. Personally, i found four drives there enough, with the small concession space of 10,000 hectares.

Decisions, decisions............thinking of dropping Vumbra too. Then adding two nights extra at Lebala and Zib. Will have to wait and see how it pans out!

Thanks for you advice
Ciao