Search

Bothered by Monkeys

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bothered by Monkeys

We are due to take a northern tanzania safari taking in the usual suspects staying in lodges and tented camps. I am desperate to experience African wildlife and scenery however my partner has something of a phobia around monkeys. I would like to be able to tell her she will not be too bothered however I do not have direct knowledge. I would be very grateful if you guys out there who have been to Tanzania recently could provide some information about the level of 'monkey contact' we are likely to experrience. Thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:36 AM

We've done three northern circuit safaris the past 18 months with only a couple of incidences of monkey business.

At the picnic area in the Lerai forest on the Ngorongoro crater floor the vervet monkeys are a bit of a pest because tourists have fed them (I have a photo of a German woman feeding them in front of a "Do Not Feed the Monkeys" sign). These monkeys will try to sneak into the open jeeps and steal food if someone doesn't guard the jeep. Probably a couple of other spots like this but your driver should already be aware of them.

In the entrance parking lot at Lake Manyara a large male baboon jumped into the jeep and went thru the bags looking for food while my wife was alone in the jeep arranging camera gear. She was unable to scare it off (or vice-versa, as the jeep exits were blocked by the baboon) but her yells brought an armed park ranger who ran the baboon off. That was our closest call (baboons are much larger and more agressive than the vervets).

Can't speak for some of the tented camps, where supposedly some of the monkeys have learned how to work the zippers

Which camps/lodges are you staying at? We almost never see monkeys around the lodges we've used, only in places where they are used to stealing or begging food.

Bill
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill
We are staying at Mountain Village Lodge, Lake Manyara Serena Lodge, Mbuzi Mawe tented camp, Ngorongoro Serena Lodge and Tanangire river camp
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM

Kevan, we've stayed at the LM Serena several times and eaten at the Ng crater Serena 3 times and never saw any monkeys. I'm pretty sure you're also OK at Mountain Village and Mbuzi Mawe but maybe ask around about the Tarangire River camp, I think I read somewhere about monkeys being a nuisance around that one (not certain).

If you happen to walk out your tent or lodge early one morning and see a Cape buffalo nearby I predict you'll quit worrying about the monkeys though

Bill
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM

Kevan, our experience at the River Camp last year did <i>not</i> include monkeys. There weren't any at the camp.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM

My husband had his lunch box &quot;stolen&quot; at the entrance to Ngorongoro by a baboon. The driver chased after him (or her) and got it back (teeth marks and all!). Then in Tarangire at a view point where we were having our lunch, there were little vervet monkeys who tried their best to get to our lunch boxes, but were quite easily scared off. No type of monkey incident at the lodges where we stayed at all. I am sure if you mention the monkey phobia to your driver, he will do his utmost to keep them at bay. As the other posters mentioned, they are basically after your food.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM

Does it matter what kind of monkeys? We did see quite a few in Lake Manyara, but they didn't approach us.
And it's a good thing you are not going to Amboseli -- there are so many around the lodge that they actually employ Maasai as monkey chasers because they are such pests.
In Mbuzi Mawe, one of our group did get some of the stuff in her tent strewn around a bit, when a baboon got in (not while she was there), and they also had to chase one out of the dining room. But they didn't appear to be interacting with the people, and I myself didn't see any near or in the camp.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

your partner would not like the Victoria Falls Hotel. When you open the windows and throw out a peanut, huge numbers of baboons jump up on the window ledge and try to get in. Quite scary. that's probably why they have the sign &quot;Do not feed the animals&quot; Ugly beasts up close like that.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM

There is one picnic spot in Tarangire, anyone recall which one? Views of the park, up high on an escarpment? Monkey central! You might ask your driver/guide to avoid this spot.

Have a great time. Tell your partner not to worry about the monkeys. She should worry about the lions and the hyenas instead.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM

Those smart monkeys - the afternoon I spent on the patio of the Tarangire Wildlife Lodge I watched troops of monkeys, hundreds of them, scampering up the escarpment hills and trees to get to the BREAD BASKETS in the open dining room! The lodge has chasers who take off after them with sticks to shoo them away! The waitress told us they really LOVE to get into the sugar bowls and cam make quite a mess.

Later on, I watched a blue monkey have a scream fest with a cook who caught him stealing an egg from the kitchen. It was priceless, I laugh now remembering the battle. The cook got the monkey to drop the egg, but the monkey wouldn't leave until it had the egg back in its clutches.

In the Serengeti, at the Seronera Wildlife Lodge, again the signs were posted to KEEP WINDOWS CLOSED, as the monkeys were fond of exploring the rooms for food. The bar area of the lodge was open, and whenever the chaser took a break, the resident monkeys would scamper into the bar, hunting down any unattended snacks.

Smart little stinkers! Our tourism has created a &quot;fast food&quot; industry for them!!

But, kevanF, the lodges and camps really want us to come back again, so they do their very best to make sure we are comfortable.

I'm with Bill on the idea of something a little larger outside the tent in the morning being a little scarier!!