Blue train

Aug 28th, 2001, 07:33 AM
frank

Blue train

Anyone have any opinions of the Blue Train..I plan on taking it from Cape Town to Pretoria

Aug 28th, 2001, 10:30 PM
local

Frank

I have not travelled on the Blue Train yet, the price is way out of the ordinary South African's league, but I have travelled by train to Cape Town and back to Pretoria and it is very nice! What I enjoyed was the fact that I did not have to drive and could just sit back and enjoy the trip.

Aug 28th, 2001, 10:38 PM
local

My apologies. I assume you know about their website at www.bluetrain.co.za.

Aug 29th, 2001, 05:36 AM
frank

I have seen the websight..was just trying to get a personal account of someones trip because like you said...its very pricey and i wouldnt want to throw that cash away if it wasnt worth it

Aug 30th, 2001, 04:24 AM
Bert

My wife and I travelled on the Blue Train from Cape Town to Pretoria in September 2000. The journey certainly lived up to our expectations - it was superb in every way. The compartment was small but beautifully appointed right down to Italian marble in the bathroom. There are few things as pleasant as having a first-class meal on a train, especially when some of the prettiest countryside imaginable, slides by in the background. The lunch and dinner menus were then (they might have changed since) quite heavy on seafood items such as kingklip (a kind of fish similar in texture to red snapper) as well as traditional South African fare such as herb-perfumed Karoo lamb chops, and bobotie, a mildly spiced Cape Malay dish. Everything was superbly presented. Needless to say we didn't skip too many items on the menu... We don't drink but for those that do, they serve a wide selection of wines etc.

When we returned to our cabin after dinner - our beds had been folded down and neatly made up. All-round the service was great. What can I say - there was nothing to complain about except may the 'scenery' towards the end of the journey, on the last morning. But by that time we were having breakfast and cup after of the Blue Train's famous coffee...

If I ever were to stumble into my own personal 'Groundhog Day', experiencing the same 24 hours over and over, I can only hope that it will be on the Blue Train.

Bert
Houston

Aug 30th, 2001, 08:37 AM
frank

thanks bert....I was kind of hoping for a review like that

Search this Thread