Search

Bikepacking safety in SA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2023, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bikepacking safety in SA

I'm considering a long bikepacking trip on the Dragon's Spine from Beitbridge to Cape Town that would include months of wild camping in South Africa.

I'm wondering how safe that would be for a European guy looking quite Mediterranean and used to relatively adventurous travels.

Thanks

Last edited by coo1guy; Nov 27th, 2023 at 02:10 AM.
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 03:44 AM

Dear Coo1guy,
I'm into bikepacking also, but do mine in Botswana.

In general you don't have to worry at all about the threat from animals. Baboons, vervet monkeys, honey badgers and hyaena will make off with your food and other items if you allow them the opportunity; and elephants can smell an orange from a long way away, but none of them are really dangerous. Camping beside crocodile infested waterways is never a good idea.

It is said that just like dogs, lions will sometimes chase cyclists for fun., and are more likely to chase cyclists dressed in bright colours. I've never been chased by a lion so can't say whether or not this is true. I avoid brightly coloured lycra just in case But at least here in Botswana the main risk is dehydration: the distances between villages are long and carrying enough water can be difficult. Anyone will give you water if you ask nicely, but you might go for a day or two without meeting anyone.

I expect all of these things are similar in South Africa. But if I was to go bikepacking in South Africa I would also be concerned about crime. There is a very helpful on-line resource which presents official South African crime statistics in the form of a map, police precinct by police precinct. I would be using this as I planned my route and avoiding the hotspots. The link is www.crimestatssa.com.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your trip.

Graeme
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Bikepacking in Botswana, that sounds fantastic!

Yes, my question is mainly about crime.

Maybe rural SA is fine, but I have no idea.
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 02:02 AM

I live only 100 km from South Africa, but I'm afraid I have never taken my bike over the border. Perhaps another Fodorite will have followed your proposed route and can offer some first hand advice.

As it happens we went on a bikepacking trip from Bobonong to Palapye via Robelela last week. So about 200 km W of Beitbridge, and inside Botswana. It was a lovely route, covering 285 km through some fairly wild countryside. Unfortunately the forecast showers and clouds failed to appear and we ended up cycling through a heatwave.

I'm writing the trip up for a cycling club newsletter at present, and will post a trip report here on Fodors too. It won't answer your original question, since safety is not something we have to worry about in Botswana. But the people, the food and the culture in this corner of Botswana are those that you will encounter in the northern Transvaal.so there might be something of interest regardless.

Bikepacking the length of South Africa is a grand project and I wish you every success !

Graeme