Search

Which tour group?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Norvill Jones

Which tour group?

We are two couples in their seventies who plan to go to Egypt for 10-14 days in January or February. From the tour brochures I have seen so far, there does not seem to be much difference in the itineraries or prices of the offerings of most companies. We would appreciate having recommendations from folks who have taken organized tours to Egypt recently. We are looking for one that offers a confortable standard of accomodations - but not necessarily the gold-plated kind. Any advice will be appreciated.

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 10:29 AM
Karen

My husband and I used Globus to Egypt in April, 99 and found them an excellent value. The hotels and cruise ships were excellent; very comfortable but not ritzy. The guides were very knowledgeable. All ran smoothly and as expected. I would recommend Globus highly.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Joan

We traveled thru Egypt with Trafargar....It is UK based and not American. Lots of great British and no one knew we were Americans outside our tour group. Seems Americans are not really popular there. Had a wonderful trip.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:29 AM
jodi

I went @ 65+ alone, with Gate One and found them really just fine and meeting your description. My children love OAT, I did not go with them because they were not goint to be in Abu Simbel when I wanted to be there...remember the significance to Feb.22 there. I would have gone with Elderhostel except I wanted more time on the Nile. Check with Suzie @ Leisure Markets. [email protected] She is very Egypt knowledge able. Used to own a Niole boat.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 12:46 PM
Dick

We did Egypt this past June with Globus and were very pleased with this company. I checked the actual itinary with those in brochures of a couple of other companies. Appeared to be about the same. In fact, for the three I was considering they were exactly the same only one reversed the Nile crusie (from Luxor to Aswan). June was very hot and that took its toll on a couple of the older members of our group. Our guide kidded us about coming during a hot time of the year. I did not sense the Egyptian people were "down" on Americans. They did seem overly agressive on selling us stuff and asking for tips. Some of that was to be expected as there didn't seem to be too many tourist around in late June. Thus, any group stood out. I would do Globus again.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 01:53 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi, Norvill. <BR>My wife and I spent a wonderful time (15 days) in Egypt late March/april '97. A Norwegian company, also called Globus, arranged our trip. It was not a packaged trip, but we were very well taken care of; 3 days at the pyramides followed by a flight to Luxor, sightseeing, Nile Cruise to Aswan, lots of sightseeing, flight to Abu simbel, flight back to Cairo doing the museums for two more days, last hotel night at the airport(very important in order to get to the plane in time) <BR>The arrangement was very flexible, and the stay was astonishing fantastic. On each arrival we were met by the agents representative, who took care of the hotel transport and also offered private sightseeings, which were very good. If you plan a sound and light-show at the Pyramids, though, you shoul go by yourself instead of letting other arrange for you. You save a considerable amount in that way, and it is fun. Moving around is very safe, but you have to act dumb and blind towards the beggars. <BR>The main reason for the success of the trip, I think, was the quality of the Egyptian company our Globus had contact with. So my main advice to you is to doublecheck on that. What I recall is that Sonesta is a well reputaded company, and their Nile cruise is very good, safe and comfortable. <BR>Regarding "high class": I've heard about many getting really sick on the cruises. Reason is not the river, it is food, and food only. Hence, it might be worth it to go for a 5-star what the cruise is conserned. Then you are guaranteed no problems. <BR>Our hotels differed. By occasion we got a rather luxury one close to the Pyramids (Grand Forte), and we decided on forehand to stay in Old Cataract in Aswan. Elsewhere we stayed in places like Novotel, Tulip etc, if you know these chains. Main thing about hotels in Cairo: Pick different ones depending on what you plan to see the different days. Traffic can be very hard to get through. And don't forget staying close to your departure place the last night. <BR>Have a marvellous trip, and check out the Egyptian Travel Agency that is behind your agent. <BR> <BR>Bye <BR>Ha det <BR>Bjorn, Norway

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Norvill Jones

Thanks for the responses, folks. After further investigation, we have decided to take a tour with Insight Vacations out of Boston, MA. I appreciate all the responses, however.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:33 PM
Sarah

I just wanted to offer any advice that you might want. I just returned from Egypt in Nov and I went with Insight.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:37 PM
Sarah

Sorry about that - i hit the wrong key & posted only 1/2 my response. As i was saying, I travelled with Insight and I highly recommend them. We had a great time and the guide was absolutely wonderful. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to e mail me directly. <BR> <BR>Take care, <BR>sarah <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Virginia

Just returned from 19 days in Egypt and Jordan, traveling with OAT, Overseas Adventure Travel. Price was reasonable; guides were excellent--the Egyptologist was truly remarkable. Accomodations were very good; food was as good as it could be for Egypt; activities were varied and well planned. Contact me if you want more info. PS: I chose OAT because, among other things, they offered overnight stays at both Abu Simble and at Petra.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Riche

Dear Norvill <BR>I have just returned from Egypt and it is safe, friendly and very, vwery interesting. <BR> <BR>Please visit our website at <BR>www.tourism.to <BR>I can assist and make many recommendations as I know Egypt very well. <BR>Best wishes <BR>Riche