South Africa, safe enough?

Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:04 PM
Ezequiel

South Africa, safe enough?

Hi everybody!
I'm planning to go to SA with my girlfriend this summer (Jan and Feb).
We want to stay a few days in CT, the drive to Port Eliz. then fly to Durban and finally fly to Johannesb.
Then hire another car and drive to the Kruger NP.
My question is: is it safe enough to walk around the cities, have a good time without worrying about being mugged? Is it OK to drive? I've read they can steal your car while you're stopped at the lights!
How much of this is actually true?
I'm really looking forward to travelling to SA, but as you might have noticed I'm a little concerned about security.
Thanks for your answers!

Nov 28th, 2000, 01:46 PM
patrick

We just come back from a 750km trip inside western cape area with a rental car.We never felt unsecured in or out of Capetown.For the remaining part of your trip I would be more cautious.

Nov 29th, 2000, 11:01 PM
Rick

You're right to be concerned. I was in Durban two years ago on business. The hotel people were very concerned about my security and warned me to get back to the hotel early and not be out alone late at night. Took their advice.

Perhaps it was all the emphasis with jittery hotel staff and metel detectors, etc. but I always felt like I was being sized up by someone.

If I don't go back to South Africa, I won't feel too bad about it.

Dec 1st, 2000, 09:08 AM
USFlyer

I think SA gets a bad press. About 80% of the country is fine, its really the Jo'burg area that's bad. We were there a year ago. Started in Cape Town which is pretty safe and completely beautiful, then drove along the Garden Route (V.safe) to Port Elizabeth (only there one night so couldn't really get a sense for it). We then caught an early flight to Johannesburg, picked up the rental car and drove to Pretoria. I must admit that the whole Jo'burg/Pretoria area felt a little scarry. We drove through downtown Jo'burg-do not go and then visited Sandton which is nice and Pretoria which is ok.

Jan 8th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Riche

Hi Ezequiel
I am South African, home city Cape Town. We are also tour and safari operators with offices in many parts of Africa.
South Africa is safe for the type of trip you want to take. You need to take reasonable care in the cities, just as you would need to in NYC, Rome or SFO.
Car hijacking does occassionally happen, mostly by peiople who want to use your BMW or Kombi as a taxi in Soweto. If you drive a Toyoto or similar, nobody is going to bother you.
Visit our website: www.tourism.to
And write to me if you need more information, etc. We can assist you with hotel, car hire, etc
Best wishes
Riche du Plessis

Search this Thread