Best Wildlife Viewing in Late May/Early June

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Wildlife Viewing in Late May/Early June

Afternoon all

Quick question for the experienced Fodorites on the board:

Which areas in Southern Africa are the best for game viewing in late May/early June?

And if you had to choose one area to visit in that same time would you choose:
-Okavango/Linyanti
-Sabi/Timbavati
-South Luangwa/Lower Zambezi

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM

Never been at that time. Here is a general chart.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM

Not the best time for South Luangwa.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:20 AM

Hi bnws930,

I have been to all of those places in May/June. In fact that's my preferred time to travel on safari (no bugs, clear skies, great temperatures, lower tourist density).

Let me start by saying that I have had awesome trips each time to each place (1st trip was Okavango/SL/LZ, 2nd was Sabi/Timb/Mashatu, and 3rd was Oka/Liny).

Sabi/Timbavati has higher density of camps it seems, so there is much more radio contact between guides so there are more eyes spotting game. Game viewing was outstanding, but I didn't like that fact that there were occasional line ups for viewing. But that's just my opinion. Others are just thrilled with seeing the big 5.

I loved Zambia for it's ruggedness and a feeling of stepping back a little in time. We had wonderful viewing, but we had to work harder to find critters. But that's what I love, so I was in heaven. But the elephants and hippos and crocs are everywhere on the Zambezi, and we saw so many leopards it was terrific.

Okavango/Linyanti is always superb. Even if you are not a birder, you develop a wonderful appreciation for them because you see the beautiful diversity in the Delta. Large mammals were abundant, especially in Linyanti.

If I had to pick one, I would say Okavango/Linyanti, especially if this is your first time. But for my next trip, I am planning on going back to Zambia! It's all good.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Hari is a Kwando fan and booked Kwanda and Selinda for late May-early June. Those would be Linyanti.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Yes, and it looks on paper like a good idea at the moment. Dry pans in the mopane woodlands, combined with a not so wet summer....combined with heavy rains in Angola raising water levels in the rivers........
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM

sorry about the typos.....
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to find a way to make Botswana work within my budget but it's looking doubtful. I may end up going w/ Zambia in order to get the remote wildlife experience at a lower cost.

Lynn I looked over the africa adventure chart you provided a link to. It's very helpful as a general guide. The only thing that concerns me about going to Zambia is that the chart lists May as a bad time to go to the Lower Zambezi. Does anyone have any experience with the LZ area in the last week of May and if so do you think it would be worth spending the money to visit that area during that time of year?

Thanks once again