Best Months & Tour Co. for Kenya & Tanzania Safaris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of us are planning to Tour Kenya and Tanzania game parks this summer. We will be leaving from New York City. We are researching tour companies with small groups and are a bit confused about the quality of the experience really offered. I recently had a bad experience with a well known company on a tour of Costa Rica and definitely do not want to repeat that.
When is the best time time to visit these two countries in order to view the most game? One tour company tells us May & June , but other information on various information sites indicate that July and August are more desirable.
Any good experiences and/or recommendations about companies with small groups knowledgeable guides, interesting itineraries, etc.? We prefer an adventurous and intimate trip experience again with knowledgeable, accessible guides and time to interact with the environment and people.
We would like to have as close to an individual tour experience as is possible in a small group. Definitely not a "package" experience please!

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Well.. I could tell you about Tanzania, I don't know about Kenya.

Tanzania has 2 rainseasons, the big one in April&May and the small one in November. This means that April&May are lowseason and it could save you a lot of money travelling during that period. Mostly it only rains at night and during the day the sun shines and tempertures get to a very pleasent 30 degrees Celsius.
The good thing about the rainseasons is that the landscapes turn beautiful green. That is why the beginning of December is also very nice. The parks are very green. I wouldn't recommend christmastime/new years, because its busy.
Some people like the more yellow dry savannah landscape. In that case I would recommend July, August and September.

If you want to spot the big migration, it is possible all year around but you just have to know when to go where.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM

You've got an excellent trip to look forward to.

See this chart for best wildlife viewing throughout Africa, including Kenya and Tanzania. The best months usually are the most expensive with the most people.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Since you mention East Africa, look at this site for "Perfect Safaris" each month of the year.
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/

May and June, esp. June, can be good in Western Serengeti for the migration. So it depends where you are for the best. Generally later into the dry season like July, Aug (as you mention) means the grass is shorter and there is less water so animals are more concentrated. Those factors make seeing wildlife easier.

Take a look at what others have done in the months you are interested in with this handy index prepared by LyndaS. You'll also see the names of many companies.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34860283

<i>We would like to have as close to an individual tour experience as is possible in a small group. </i>
Why not just go for a trip for 2? That is very common and cost effective in East Africa (unlike many places). Then you do exactly what you want because you plan the trip. No package there.

How long do you want to be gone and have you established a budget? That will assist with advice.

Would you mind mentioning the Costa Rica company that did not work out? If not on the forum, could you email me at my username @ hotmail ? Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:09 AM

If you don't want a package then you don't want a group.
It's easy enough to arrange your own safari on your dates, which country, where, how many days and type of accommodations.

As above May is end of the long rains
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM

... sorry about that

but there can be some showers in early June. For travel Jun/Jul then the Western Serengeti/Tanzania. If Aug/Sep than Masai Mara/Kenya. In both countries travel during these timeframes are peak-season at peak prices but there are accommodations to fit all budgets.

Do see LyndaS New East African Trip Report Index for sample itineraries, time of year, tour operator used.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:35 AM

CPWSEA---I am from NYC too. May be going to Southern Africa.
Which company was your bad experience with?