best month for travel in Namibia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is the best month for travelling and seeing what Namibia has to offer in terms of weather.We are particularly interested in game viewing.Thanks
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM

I have only been twice, both times in June. We had great weather during our trips - warm, clear sunny days and cool nights. We were focused on landscape more than game but we did have some good viewing in Damaraland (desert elephants) and NamibRand (oryx and many others).

I have not been to Etosha, so can't comment on what time might be good there,.

Have you started organising your trip and thought about itinerary?
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

My itinerary is at the earliest stage right now.We live in western Canada so ideally we would like to be in Namibia in our winter November through March.I understand the coast is not reknowned for beach holidays so that is not really part of our plans though the skeleton coast sounds worth a visit.We would also like to visit Capetown and environs so need to choose a time when the weather is better for both places.Thanks

bia
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:46 PM

We have been to CT in May only, which was cool but still mostly sunny, though not considered to be best season, I think.

You're looking at a summer visit, which would be way too hot for us, so we've always avoided. I think temperatures easily hit 40 degrees C during the day, which I would hate. Depends on what kind of weather you like?

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 02:19 AM

November through March falls into the rainy season in Namibia, although November and December don't generally have too much rain and game viewing is still good.
As mentioned above it is also our summer season and it can be very hot (up in the 40s) so you certainly need a vehicle with air conditioning and if you are camping then I advise you choose camps that offer some shade.

February and March are not that great for game viewing and you are likely to have some rain, having said that the animals are still there, you just have to work a lot harder to find them.

The best season for game viewing is June through to November as this is our dry season and the animals must come to waterholes in order to drink. Day time temperatures are pleasant and warm but it can get chilly at night time so you need to pack a good warm outfit for then.

Cape Town is nicest during the summer months Nov - Mar, it can be quite cold, rainy and windy in the winter months.

For your date range I would suggest end of November through beginning of December, as once you get to mid December the schools are out and places are busier, also over the Xmas period some lodges up their rates.

I hope that is a little helpful.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris