Search

Bastakiya are on a Friday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bastakiya are on a Friday

Hello. I'm going to Dubai for a couple of days for work and I was thinking of spending an extra day to do some sightseeing. However, that will be a Friday. I was really interested in doing the Jumeirah Mosque tour, attending the cultural breakfast/ lunch at the SMCCU, and joining one of their Bastakiya tours; but Friday being the holy day, those activities will not be available. Any suggestions on alternative activities for a similar experience? Should I just wander around the Bastakiya area and ride the abra on my own?

Looking forward to the usual helpful advice. Thanks in advance. BTW, I will be staying near the airport and don't speak the language.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 03:43 AM
peg

English is widely spoken in Dubai. Bastakiya can easily be done on your own. I did it on my own, and quite liked walking around, very quiet. They have a wonderful cafe for lunch by the main entrance (if it isn't too hot out eat in the courtyard), some of the art galleries in the quarter are open on Friday in the afternoon. You can also easily do the abra ride on your own. You can just take it from one side of the river to the other for a short ride (you will either start or end in the textile souk), or just point to where you want to go on the river and the guy will tell you which line to get in. It costs one dirham to cross the river, or you can take the tourist abra rides which is approx. an hour and I think (I did not do the tourist one) 100 dirhams. Even if you cannot do the Jumeirah Mosque tour, you can still walk around it. Much can be seen from the sidewalk.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Peg. Much appreciated. You just convinced me to stay an extra day.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
peg

Glad you will be taking in some of the sights. I would get a map from the hotel you are staying in, it really helps, especially if you need to show the cab driver. Although most of them know where to go. The other option that people take, is the big bus tour, even if you don't get off at all the stops you will get to see a lot of the city. I personally have not done this one in Dubai (I just walked and took cabs), but being short on time it might be an option. Their website has maps and stops on it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Peg.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Peg. I'm back from the trip.I walked around Bastakiya, took the abra, and wandered around the souks. Thanks again for your kind advice.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:54 AM
peg

Sorry for my delayed response. I was in India during your Dubai trip am just now catching up on my Fodors. I'm so glad that I was able to help.