Search

Aussie ATM card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie ATM card

I have been looking through the forums in regards to my ANZ Bank key card (australian bank) working in the ATMS in Tanzania. We're not going to bother with TC's since it seems more bother to use them than not. But I just want to be sure our keycard will work. It's not a visa or mastercard but it does have the Maestro/Cirrus logo on the back. Most of the other post have been in relation to visa/mc. We will have a visa with us for emergencies.

We will primarily be carrying cash, but just in case we run out...

Any ideas on roughly how much would be necessary for budget camping 7 nights northern circuit and a week on znz? Our tour is paid for so just tips, souveniers, some meals on znz, etc.

Thanks very much. Happy Christmas and New Year!!
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM

I would recc. that you take a credit card for cash advances. Costs a bit in international transfers to pull cash (debit or credit) but a Mastercard or Visa is accepted almost everywhere.

You can always load it into credit before you go if you don't want to incure a major debt. Check with your Travel Agent and bank about using your debit card in Tanzania - don't want to be caught short, eh?

PS: Good idea to watch the card if transactions over a counter and use ATM's that have security guards.

cheers
Jude
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM

My stepson, who works for ANZ in London, says your access card should be OK with ATMs with signs showing they accept Maestro/Cirrus. But if a machine turns you down, don't persevere but go looking for another, as three unsuccessful tries on one machine will lock your card out on all.

John
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Try this for the location of Maestro/Cirrus compatible ATMs.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Oops, forgot the link www.mastercard.com/atmlocator/index.jsp
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM

I have always been able to use my ANZ access account card in Tanzania at Barclays Banks Branches and others with 'cirrus'. Best to have a credit card just in case though. I usually top up my credit card before hand so that i do not incur interest.

A good budget option on Zanzibar is Paradise Beach Bungalows - basic but good price, nice location and great food. This time last year it was about $50 per night for 2 for a basic beachfront bungalow.