Search

ATMs at Casablanca airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMs at Casablanca airport

I will be taking my first trip to Morocco next month,and I've just learned that I can't buy Moroccan currency in the US (or anywhere outside Morocco.)
I assume that there is an ATM or two in the Casablanca airport, or a currency desk. Any information will be appreciated. If I am not able to get to the ATM immediately (I'll be hooking up with a group), would dollars or euros in small denominations be acceptable as tips, should I need to tip on arrival at the first hotel? If Moroccans have trouble exchanging foreign currency, I don't want to impose a burden.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM

There is a conveniently-located currency exchange booth in the Casablanca airport. If you bring US currency you will be able to exchange some right then.

By the way, we had NO LUCK trying to exchange our travelers checks anywhere in Morocco. It may have been because AAA gave us these new "VISA CARD" travelers checks instead of the American Express. I dont know...maybe those wouldn't have worked either.

ATMs are everywhere & is clearly the best way to go.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Be careful when you exchange upon arrival. They will give you very LARGE bills. I realized I could survive almost anywhere when I outwitted the Moroccan cabdriver upon arrival (didn't have change etc. etc, but my luggage was out of the cab and I wouldn't turn lose of the bill until he FOUND change)!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the information.
I haven't bought travelers checks in years, so won't worry about having trouble with them.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM

We used the ATMs that are right next to the change kiosks. One didn't work (the one that had "English" as an option, naturally) but the other worked fine and we managed to get through it in French.

And wintrsp--we thought there was no such things as "small change" in Morocco byt the end of our trip.