Search

Arusha - Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 05:57 AM
Leigh

Arusha - Shopping

We will have very limited time in Arusha. Can anyone out there suggest several stores to buy trinkets, souvenirs, etc. and also a reputable store to buy Tanzanite? Also, what is the bargaining practice - 25% of the price??? Thanks -

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 03:04 PM
bly

Leigh - are you going on safari from Arusha? If so, you can ask your tour company for suggestions. They may be able to set you up with a guide for the day as well. We had a guide in Mombasa for $15 for four of us for an afternoon - showed us the sites, markets and different stores. As for the Tanzanite, do a search on the internet. Get a range of prices - loose stones, rings, pendants, etc. Then you can bargain. I'd say the % is much higher. In Kenya and Tanzania, we were able to pay with US$s and credit cards from Masai bomas to gift shops.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:26 PM
April

If you are going on safari you can buy those beaded neckpieces from the Masai and simpler jewelry as well. <BR> <BR>I didn't shop for souvenirs in Arusha but in other areas and found one shop that wouldn't bargain at all. Markets or buying directly from individuals seemed better for bargaining, and the best bargaining power was to be had by using US dollars. <BR> <BR>You'll also find malachite items for sale in Tanzania. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 08:06 PM
Al

On a tour to Tanzania in 1996, we were taken to a big place in Arusha that had all sorts of crafts -- carved animals, beadwork, basketry, etc. This, as we observed, was a first-class clip joint, run by sullen Indian or Pakistani merchants, who couldn't have cared less, would not bargain, and charged far more than the same types of goods available direct along the road as we traveled. I blasted Maupintour for this blatant scam and never heard back from them. The guides and drivers were getting a kickback, for sure. You can do better on your own. We found that when you cross the border to Kenya there are bargains galore on the Tanzanian side, especially if you have American single dollar bills.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 11:59 AM
mm

We bought most of souvenirs at the hotels we were staying at because we did not want to be bothered with bargaining. In any case we judged the quality of the items to be good enough. We also mentally compared them with similar items price and quality wise with those available in the US or in other countires we visited. The one time we did buy something in the market in Arusha, we ended up with no discount despite our guide bargaining for us in Swahili.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 12:01 PM
mm

A follow-up to my earlier e-mail. If you are leaving via the Dar es Salaam airport, you will find several souvenir shops. They have a lot of items to choose from and the prices are tolerable.