Are Puppets OK for Egyptian Kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Egypt in a week and thought I would bring some kids I am visiting some hand or finger puppets. I thought I might buy some extra for other charming kids I meet in my travels. It just occurred to me that Islamic tradition might find animal representations in toys objectionable and the parents of the kids may not let them have the puppets. I did a Google search and read that Saudi Arabia issued a ban on stuffed animals (and dolls too, I believe) about a year ago. Does anyone know how things stand in Egypt? I could bring books, but thought the kids would enjoy puppets more. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM

Saudi Arabia is just a whacked out world of its own. As long as none of the animals are named Mohammed, you should be alright.

Though, I would avoid the bringing of little gifts unless you want to get swarmed from all directions the moment you give something out. I think heymo's review mentioned something like this...or maybe I'm thinking of another travel forum.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
sniktawk

Yes as they have not been bombed lately most of them have hands.

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM

Sniktawk, that was uncalled for.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

For those who tried to help me, Thanks. There are some very odd perceptions of Egyptian people here!
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Years later, I wanted to add an addendum. I brought finger puppets with me to Egypt, and amused children (and adults!) along the road as we traveled by bus. I had my finger puppets perform little dances and such. I had the most amazing results. Children enjoyed this so much. Adults laughed heartily too, and gave me a "thumbs up" sign. The only negative was some kids really wanted to have those puppets. After watching for a while, they pleaded with "gimme" gestures. That was sort of sad (since I was on a bus and couldn't give them puppets if I wanted to). I did give the puppets to children here and there towards the end of my trip. Even then, I had to be mindful of doing that when there were only a couple of kids around. If you have a crowd of 15, you better have 15 puppets or more, as word spreads quickly. This was such a fun thing for me and the kids, I would recommend anyone to do this. I got a bunch of finger puppets inexpensively on eBay.