Anyone just use a regular digital camera on safari?

Nov 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Anyone just use a regular digital camera on safari?

Just this year, before we started planning the trip, I bought myself another Canon PowerShot SD800 - it's 7 megapixels and has a 3.8 wide angle image-stablized optical zoom.

has anyone taken pictures on safari with just a normal camera or should I be saving for a digital SLR and a new lens?
Nov 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Many here use point and shoot digital cameras on safari, but 3.8x optical zoom is not enough. Preferably you need something like 12x optical zoom.
Nov 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

I did just fine with a Canon Digital Elph SD700IS, which has a 4x optical and 12x digital zoom. This is the same camera I generally take on "city trips" since it is so nice and small with good picture quality and image stabilization.

That said, however, I'm planning to upgrade to a DSLR before my next safari - I really enjoy photography and want to take it to the next level, as the pictures I took, while good, were definitely not the same quality that you see from a DSLR. But if money's an issue and you're just a casual photographer with no need for a more advanced camera after your safari, you'd be fine sticking with what you've got.
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM

3.8 is not enough.

A high quality P&S with image stabilization and 10-15x optical zoom (I think Olympus is up to 18x) is adequate. It is what I use.
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM

I just had a meeting with the owner of as Travel Agency that specializes in tours to Africa.
He has been doing tours there since 1973 !

He has a home in London and in Kenya and in North America

On the topics of cameras he said:

"Unless you are a professional photographer or photograpy is your hobby....a Digital PowerShot Camera (like a Canon....he said Canon) with a 12 to 14 optical zoom is more than adequate."

"Don't go bringing several of those big long lens with you unless you know what you are doing and can do it quickly"....

End of quote.

Now I very much liked the pictures that BillH put on this Fodors Forum , but I can tell he is waaaaay more adapt to cameras and lenses than I ever will be

Percy

Nov 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Since I haven't taken my digital P&S off automatic, I'm not ready for the DSLR. My P&S is a Fuji, 4mg, 10X Optical, used AA batteries, is KISS friendly (keep it simple stupid) and find my pics are fine. Am thinking of upgrading to 12X or higher.

There are many threads here about cameras, lots of which are P&S. As above, though you need higher Optical zoom for animal pics. So, unless you're up for learning a DSLR and the $$$ for their cost, maybe you can return and exchange your recent purchase.

Many are choosing the Panasonic cameras which are compact, with great lense, stablization... read the threads here on Fodors.