Anyone been to Northern Malawi?

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Northern Malawi?

I just a booked a safari to Southern Tanzania and Northern Malawi. We spend 2 nights in the Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve (Kazuni Safari Camp) and 4 nights in Nyika National Park (Chelinda Lodge). From there, we head to Ruaha for 3 nights (Mwagusi Camp) and then spend 4 nights in Selous (Bonham Camp). How does this sound to all you Africa safari afficionados?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:22 AM

I have been to Malawi and the places you mentioned a couple of years ago. Back then there was no game at all, unfortunately. This of course could have changed in the last years. Are you a first time visitor to Africa. If you have been on safaris before perhaps you are happy to see the bush and enjoy interacting with the locals and your main interest has shifted from just seeing game?
In any case, I can recommend Malawi as a great detination. Great people - very friendly and chuffed to see visitors.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Karin...This will be my 3rd safari...I'm disappointed to read that you didn't see any game, as that's my main interest in going. What time of year were you there? I'll be going in early October.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:16 AM

I went in September but that was years ago. Also back then the government didn't exaclty put any emphasis in nature conservation. There simply wasn't any game around. It's either been chased away across the border or poached and eaten. To be honest I am not infomred at all about the game situation in Malawi at all.
Still it's a great country to travel to and has wonderful scenery.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM

I quote the following from Nolting's "Africa's Top Wildlife Countries." Re: Nyika - "Game on the plateau is plentiful: reedbuck, common duiker and roan antelope are the dominant animals, along with eland and Burchell's zebra. Leopard, hyena and bushpig may be seen on evening drives." I did not see in the chapter about Malawi any mention of Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve. As for Selous, I can guarantee that you will see a plethora of wildlife. We were there in September 2002 and loved it. Unlike the plains, Selous has a lot of shrubs and scrub, but we saw elephants, lions and cugs, buffalo, hippos, crocs, zebra, antelope, impala, giraffe, etc. In Selous you have to keep a sharp eye, but the animals are there. We stayed at Sand Rivers, which also has a Bonham connnection, as it was the location of the permanent camp he set up when told by the Tanzanian government that he had to either build a permanent camp or get out (at least that was how it was told to us.) If you are taking the tour I saw on the web, it looks like you will be doing quite a bit of walking in Selous. How wonderful!!! That is one of the unique features of Selous: that you can do so much walking inside the reserve. It is a wonderful place and I am thrilled for you that you are going. In Selous, I felt like we were in the Africa of years ago. We never saw another safari vehicle while out on game drives and we thoroughly enjoyed our treks on the Rufiji River. Enjoy Selous, it is a special place. As an aside, I considered Ruaha (Ruaha River Camp) but opted instead for Selous for the conclusion of our journey. I look forward to reading your report on Selous and Ruaha, which still intrigues me, as well as Katavi and Mukimi parks. Oh, so much to see ... so little time (and money!) Enjoy.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Excuse the typo: that should be "cubs," not cugs!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

SusanLynne: thanks for your response. You've gotten my very excited about the trip--particularly Selous. You mentioned that you may have seen my tour on the web...If it mentioned a guide named David Foot then that's the one. The tour operator I booked through (Rothschild Safaris) really touted this guy.

I am also intrigued about Katavi, but have not heard of Mukimi. Where is that?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Mikumi is closest to Dar, about a four hour drive, and actually borders Selous. Unlike Selous, which closes April and May due to the rains, Mikumi is apparently open year round. Just one more of the many places to go in Tanzania! Yes, I saw the one mentioned by David Foot. Sounds great and me thinks you will sleep well at night with all that walking! But Africa "on foot" is a wonderful experience. It should be a fantastic time for you!