Search

Clothing & tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing & tips

Am going to Egypt in late September, what is the best type of clothes to wear? Are shorts and T-shirts ok (don't want to offend anyone). Also what amount do most people tip the guides and drivers? Is this done at the end of the day or end of the trip?
Thanks
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM

honda400ex2 .. what a screen name ?

For males: Shorts & T shirts ok during day visits (except if you are visiting some historical mosques, then would advice regular pants or jeans). Obviously if you go to restaurants (a bit upscale) or for dinner (not so casual), then you would not go in shorts.

Females: the same applies... I would not recommend tank tops for outside the hotel... half sleeves for T. shirts or light cotton shirts.

I am not sure what sort of arrangement you have with regards to drivers and guides... obviously if they are with you for a single day (then you tip at the end of the day), while if they are the same for a number of days, I would save tipping to the end. How much you tip for a day would also differ: are you alone being served by the driver or are you part of a larger group driven by on a minibus or so. If part of a group, then 10 Egyptian Pounds (a little less than USD 2) per person per day would be reasonable. If you are alone, or a couple being served by that driver then may be USD 5 or 30 Egyptian pounds (LE) for a day would be good.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:15 AM

Sherif,

I'm curious -- do Egyptian men or women wear shorts in cities or other areas that are not resorts or cruise ships? I don't think I saw any.

Also, once a tourist is out of the major cities/tourist areas, don't you think that shorts are absolutely tabu? In the Western Desert oases where all the women are completely covered & the men give you a covered forearm instead of a bare hand to shake your hand for reglious reasons, don't you think that covered arms & legs is the better practice?

This has been a much discussed topic on this board.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 11:49 AM

I had gotten that impression from this board, also, Sunshine. For my upcoming trip, I've planned a bit more conservatively--no shorts for either of us, longer sleeves for me, etc.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:52 PM
sandi

While in Cairo proper, shorts would not be proper attire. It's best for men to wear slacks and women slacks, skirt or crop pants. Shirts should have at least a short sleeve, but no sleeveless or backless.

While at the Pyraminds, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara, you can wear walking shorts (to the knee) and again a shirt with a sleeve (t-shirts are ok).

If doing a cruise, you can wear whatever while on board the boat (swimsuits and even bikinis for females), but for shore trips, follow that above. The only place while cruising where you can go with walking shorts would be Luxor or Abu Simbel as these are very very hot and then only during the day... by nighttime, go back to your long pants, skirts.

And definitely have comfortable walking shoes as many sites have uneven ground beneath your feet.

Re: tipping the guidelines above are good as to when to tip - after the service is performed - daily or a few days. If you have a private guide for a full day, I tip $5/per person. The same also if a small group of less then 10 people... but if a whole bus full, you can give a little less.

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:11 AM

Dress code in Egypt:

First, Egyptian are used to tourists (ie. westerners) more liberal dress code. As long as it is not overdone on the sreet. Within hotels and resorts, it is a different case. And where you are by the sea (Sinai, Hurghada etc..) things are even more relaxed on the beach (you even have the occasional topless sunbather).

Egyptian men and women are more conservative. You have women that are veiled, others who would only wear half sleaves. Men in general would not wear shorts on the street in Cairo. Having said that, the higher you go on the social ladder, people tend to be more liberal (within limits). So, in upscale neighborhoods in Cairo, you can see men having a walk wearing shorts.... or shopping at the super market... but not in a main square down town. In dinners, parties, weddings etc.. you will find women wearing strapless gowns ending way above the knee... but they will be driven in and out of the place, and not walking half an hour on the street to reach their destination.

In conclusion, covered legs and arms are abiously a safe bet... but shorts (specially if knee length) and T shirts are more than OK
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your information. Over all the clothing question all depends where you are and what you are doing.
Thanks again
Tim