Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any Reason to Avoid visiting the Golan Heights with a guide/driver?

Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to finalize itinerary (8 full day) that now includes Jerus/Bethlehem, Tel Aviv/Jaffa, Tiberias, Haifa, Massada, Dead Sea, Caesaria. Should we go to the Golan Heights? Any security concerns? I realize things change but we have to base plans on what the situation is now.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM

No problem with security.
Friends were there 3/weeks ago. Beautiful.

Just keep to the paths and don't go off on your own. There may still be live ammo!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
hat

I just returned from Israel 4 days ago and had a great time in the Golan Heights. No concerns at all, as long as you stick to the well marked paths. Lots of security in the area, but we always felt safe and it is a beautiful place to visit.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Eli

Definitely go! By the way there's even more action during winter...
http://www.skihermon.co.il/english-index.html
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
sniktawk

Yes the land belongs to another country, it is war booty.

Old May 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
hat

The politics of the area are very interesting. Learning about why it was necessary for Israel to take over this area to stop the shelling and sniper attacks on it's farmers are additional reasons to visit the Golan aside from it's beauty.
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
sniktawk

What a sad person you must be the occupation of this land is in breach of UN Resolution 242 which was adopted unanimously. This is occupied territory, one law for some.

Old May 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Eli

sniktawk, are you done yet clearing out the mess in your own back yard – Hutu/Tutsi, Kenya, Darfur – did I leave out something?
May I suggest that you concentrate on your own smelly sewer?
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
sniktawk

I must say that is an interesting comment, as a Britain living in South Africa, I fail to see what I have anything to do with Rwanda, Kenya or Sudan.

Perhaps you could reinvent history further?

Old May 6th, 2008, 05:53 AM

"As a Britain living in South Africa," maybe you can explain what right your native country had to take 75% of historic Palestine and give it to a Saudi prince to establish the state of Trans-Jordan?
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
sniktawk

What has this got to do with the original question?

The breakup of the former Ottaman Empire was as I understand it a decision of the "Principal allied Powers".
In a similar decision the former German colony of South West Africa became a mandate of South Africa.
The Golan Heights became a part of Syria (also part of the Ottoman Empire) in 1923!
Nevertheless the current "owners" are in breach of international law.

Old May 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM

This is a travel message board I'll be happy to debate you on this issue. My e-mail: [email protected].
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:20 AM
sniktawk

Why would I want to debate with you, I have no interest in this subject other than my answer which is factual. You disagree that is your opinion and I suppose I could say you have every right to believe it, after all many people disagree with the theory of evolution.

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Ok, then you have to be specific. What "international law" is Israel breaking?

Now, on a similar topic, do you believe that a country harassed and then attacked by its neighbor from certain territory is entitled to annex that territory following its victory? If your answer is no, then should the same theory apply to just Israel or other states as well (hint: France, Germany, Poland, Russia, etc.).
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM

UN Resolution 242:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Secu...Resolution_242
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM

I’d decided never to read an Israel/Palestine thread on a mostly American forum, but I think I should share a link.
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/spip/
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
sniktawk

Lifelist

Thanks for that, I had allready used it so I am sure it will make no difference. Eugene clearly has a peculiar idea of the history of the world, let alone modern times.
I must confess to not having any idea as to who Poland harrased but I know it was invaded by Germany and Russia. I do not recall France harrasing anybody in particular but they have been invaded by Germany as well what is this all supposed to mean?

Old May 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I apologies for asking the initial question. It seems some people really get their jollies pontificating on a subject that has nothing to do with the question I asked. Further, I am going to try to contack Fodor's to see if this kind of gibberish can be blocked, but I doubt it.

When at the Golan Heights is there extensive walking? I have a weak knee and after 1/2 mile I need to rest before heading back.If we were to spend 1 night in Tiberias what else could we see other than Golan that really is a NOT to be MISSED??
Please let's get back to my question.
Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Hmm, did you read the language of Resolution 242. It does call for withdrawal of Israel from "territories" - definitely not "all territories." This was not an omission on the drafters' part but a carefully drafted provision. That resolution also calls for peace - is that something Arab countries are willing to provide?

As to my understanding of history, look at Germany before and after WW1 and WW2? It sure lost lots of territory. Should Russia and Poland be returning land that they annexed following Germany's defeat?
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM

http://domino.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/d74...1!OpenDocument

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -