Search

is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it safe?

My wife and I really want to visit Egypt for a two week trip, but, with all that is going on, are a bit reluctant to do so. We're not wimps, and, in fact, would travel ourselves, without a tour, but on the other hand, we don't want to be reckless about it. For what it's worth, we would be traveling on US passports.

Any thoughts from the gallery?
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM
sandi

niskyboss - do a search on this board. Up on the top there is a search window. Enter Egypt, or Safety in Egypt, or Travel to Egypt - then click on the "find" or "go" button to the far right of the window.

Lots of messages will appear on the left border (where your original message posted) and you'll see that others have asked this question, the responses, as well as, the trip reports from those who have been there recently.

Egypt is safe and a wonderful country to visit. The Egyptians are very friendly, warm and welcoming, especially for USDollars. You will also find in the many messages you pull up, names of tour operators located in Egypt who have planned excellent itineraries at outstanding prices.

Read everything that comes up and I can assure you, you'll be ready to book immediately. Egypt is a destination not to be missed and it is safe to travel there.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Egypt is a wonderful place to visit and I hope you are able to schedule a trip.
As Sandi mentioned above - the Egyptians are very welcoming people - friendly and anxious to please.

Re your comment about US Passports...
what we are finding lately is that at highway/passport checkpoints and anywhere else we need to state our citizenship, there is definitley a slight "coolness" when we say that we are from the States. BUT - no harsh or unkind words/actions have been directed at us. THe Egyptians seem to be able to separate us from the actions of the US Govt. We have NEVER been made to feel uncomfortable in these situations.

Have fun planning your trip!
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 05:28 AM

We are just back from Egypt where we spent 12 days (having organized the whole thing on our own, part of it in advance and part of it on site).

Things went well. A couple of problems happened like the guy supposed to pick us at Cairo airport, waited at the wrong terminal, but nothing we could not deal with.

We were travelling with our French passports, but many other foreigners visited Egypt (a lot of people just before Easter) and all of them seemed to enjoy the trip.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Please do not be afraid to visit Egypt. We were there for 15 days and it was the greatest trip we had. We had armed guards with us at all times, on the bus, in the hotel, museums, tombs, etc. You are probably safer there than you are in your own city. We were so happy that we went as it was an experience not to be forgotten.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 04:16 PM

We were there several months before 9/11 - and there was still security, or appearances of security everywhere.

Is it safe? No one can guarantee that anywhere is safe. But most people we encountered in Egypt were far more interested in making a living from tourist industry than making a political statement.

My answer is that if you can feel comfortable enough/safe enough to enjoy the wonders of Egypt, then go. If you will spend much time worrying about security, then wait for a gentler time. But, as with most fears we encounter in life, statistical chances are not the same as perceived fears. (If it were, I would never be afraid of flying)

As far as US passports - except for entry into country and internal flights for ID, we never even took out our passports. I think appearances and accents give us away as Americans anyway.

If you don't go to Egypt now, I urge you to go sometime.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:08 AM

I was in Egypt in Jan 2004 and it was very safe. People assume what is happening in the Middle East in Irag is happening in Africa in Egypt. The farthest thing from it. I always give an example regarding hurricance Andrew for those who have heard of it in 1994 in Homestead, FL. People we knew in Nashville, TN called to see if we were alright in Jupiter, FL which is about 175 miles north. We had no wind or any other problems, just listened on the news. The same corelation. go to Egypt and enjoy and don't worry! It is as perfectly safe as your on hometown or any other.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I just returned from two weeks in Egypt: Cairo, Luxor, Sharm. We did everything on our own and encountered no difficulties. I consider Egypt to be much safer than New York, my home.

There was, however, a wiff of resentment towards Americans in Luxor, and in particular, the west bank. This is understandable because the security there is very tight, causing the average Egyptian to be inconvenienced. Hotels are required to inform the police of any Americans staying with them so they can keep track of you. All this is done for the saftey of tourists.

Otherwise, hotels, as in many countries, hang on to your passport at the front desk. Also, passports were required for any excursions in the Sinai, or sailing on the Red Sea.

In conversations with anyone selling you anything, it's best to say that you are Canadian. Prices will be immediatly adjusted downward.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM

To ncanavan. Boy! What part of Luxor were you in? Our group never encountered anything like what you discribe!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
sandi

ncanavan - I second MauiMaui's question? where in Luxor? My friends just returned from Egypt (including Luxor) and never once had to turn in their passport to the hotel for safekeeping. Granted they and we have often left important papers (passports [keeping a photo copy with us], airline tickets, extra cash, extra credit cards) in the hotel safe, but never required to do so.

And as far as your hotel advising the authorities who was staying at the hotel - this is done in most every country. One has to show their passport, record the number on the registration form and, either, your tour operator or the hotel advises the authorities. Nothing unusual with that procedure.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:26 PM

I just returned last week from a two week vacation in Egypt traveling on a U.S. passport. I visited Cairo, Alexandria and Luxor and didn't have any problems at all. Didn't travel with a tour group. Many shopkeepers, waiters, etc asked where I was from (they are very friendly people)and I said the US and all comments were favorable. Prices are great against the US dollar. Unfortunately not great for the Egyptians though.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:32 AM

My wife and I were traveling independantly, and stayed in the west bank, about 50 yards from the Madinat Habu temple. And yes, there are checkpoints on the west bank that you do not see in Luxor. This was not a cause for alarm, or even a bother, but the elevation of security is certainly noticeable.
I would like to reiterate Sandi's comments about the Egyptians: this is the most welcoming country I've ever visited. It seems that every other person is a good will ambassador, greeting you, helping you find your way, and quite often, inviting you into their home. Of all the things I saw and did in Egypt, it is the people I will remember most.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:47 AM

I was just there, in Sinai, and I felt safe (two American women).