Another predator - great whites!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A predator that doesn't get much mention on this board is the great white shark. I just did a search and didn't come up with much. The White Shark Diving Ecoventure - http://www.white-shark-diving.com/index.htm - website didn't have much information as to best seasons to see them, and what are the chances. I will be contacting them, but does anyone else know?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Michael (thit_cho) has been out with White Shark Ecoventures. They are one of several operators that take tourists out to Dyer Island to see the sharks. I have the impression that there is less seasonal variation in shark sightings there than at the other location to see great whites, which is Seal Island in False Bay.

There, the peak months for sharks are June and July, and the operator who takes you out there is African Shark Eco-Charters, run by Rob & Karen Lawrence and Chris & Monique Fallows (www.ultimate-animals.com).

Both Lynn (atravelynn) and I are going to Seal Island with Rob et al. in June 2008 (at different times). I went out with them there in Sept. 2003, saw a few sharks hit some seals, but none approached the boat so we didn't get any up-close views. Not the right season for Seal Island.

Both the ultimate-animals.com site and Chris & Monique's site (www.apexpredators.com) have monthly shark sighting blogs, so you can see what the activity is like at different times of year.

I don't know what the seasonal activity is like at Dyer Island, and it may be different, but I think that Seal Island is the better place to go shark viewing, which is why they film all the Discovery Channel and National Geographic specials there.

Chris
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

in june? When? It looks like our trip will be in mid to late June after all, so maybe we will cross paths.

Why did you decide to go with Rob, as opposed to White Shark...?

It really surprises me that there isn't more on this forum about great white trips, which leads me to wonder if sightings aren't that good, and it isn't as exciting as being in the bush.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM

That's right. I just got a "Shark Byte" from them a few moments ago. It's their newlsetter. I'm going July of 2008.

What are the chances? In May through Oct, I think the odds are pretty good of seeing a Great White if you book a couple of outings. I've been told June-July is the best time with late June being optimal. Now, seeing predation on the seals is probably less likely. Not only do you have the unpredictability of the sharks and their prey (seals) but also the unpredictability of the seas and the weather. Sometimes trips are cancelled. That's why I booked 5. That's more than most people would want. The Fallows have a nice deal on lodging for longer stays.

Do you know the college situation of your son yet so you can decide on when you'll be traveling to Africa?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

My situation has settled, unfortunately, to being more expensive. I was really trying to go in March when we would have saved a ton of $ but that was too complicated, So, late June it will be. But, if that is better for shark sightings, all the better. I think seeing lions and sharks in the same trip seems like the ultimate - an extreme predator trip.

What other extreme predators are there? I really want to see a honey badger.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM

We will be there the week of June 16, 2008 and, like Lynn, we are spending 5 days out with the sharks. She is right that weather conditions and the behavior of the sharks and their prey can vary dramatically even from day to day, so as with any wildlife viewing experience it is safest to spend several days to give you as good a chance as possible to have a great experience.

So, why Seal Island / Rob Lawrence vs. Dyer Island / White Shark ecoventures? Lynn can answer this too, but for me it is a combination of a couple of things:
(1) Seal Island is where the sharks breach (jump out of the water) and we would like to see that. Rob has a seal decoy that he tows behind the boat and the sharks will nail it with some regularity.
(2) Seal Island has fewer boats going out there -- I think there are only 1-2 boats with licenses to go there; Dyer Island has more so it can be more crowded with boats.
(3) Seal Island is famous from TV specials so it has an extra "cool" factor in my mind.
(4) I already know Rob from our previous visit to Cape Town.
(4) Simon's Town (where Rob sails from) is closer and more convenient to Cape Town than Gansbaai (where White Shark Ecoventures and other Dyer Island operators sail from).

None of this is meant as a negative commentary on White Shark Ecoventures. Michael really liked them, and they enjoy an excellent reputation, so I think you can be quite confident in dealing with them if that is your choice.

Let me know when you are planning to be there -- maybe we will see you in Cape Town in 2008! We will be hanging out with Selwyn a bit while we are there too.

Chris
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

aaargh - we only have two weeks! I wish we could do everything. Spending time with Selwyn and getting a Capetown tour truly sounds great. I am already mulling the next trip, but there are so many other places that I want to visit - India looks really interesting - tigers would be interesting.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Here's one more reason. The guide overseeing a documentary that Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols was making with the chimps at Ngamba Island in Uganda personally recommended them to me. I couldn't make that up.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I can't wait to see Johnny Rotten doing a chimp walk on TV! Where did that idea come from?!

Rob and Chris move in the circles of the people who film those specials -- you can see their boat "Blue Pointer" on almost every one of them, and frequently you will hear Rob's voice from off-camera and see either Rob or Chris mentioned in the credits. That they would be known as far away as Uganda does surprise me, though.

Chris
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Shark alley between gansbaai and dyer island is pretty active year round with a distinct peak in August.

Honey badger...could be seen anywhere, but my bet and frequent sightings have been in the SLV, Zambia.

But if you are serious about interesting predators, one that has always fascinated me is the potter wasp, found in the western caope and preys on baboon spiders.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:54 AM

I have visited Shark Alley/Dyer Island twice, the second time with White Shark Ecoventures. Frankly, when I visited, I was not aware of Seal Island, so, at least for me, I wasn't deciding between two destinations, but merely focusing on operators to Dyer Island from Gansbaai. I did a lot of research, and contacted White Shark Ecoventures, who offered a very nice trip from Cape Town (providing roundtrip transport) to Gansbaai, with a day on the water, and a stop on the return in Hermanus to watch whales breach (they also provided excellent meals). Bear in mind that I went in August 2002, so things may have changed. My guide was Robert Cope and he was excellent -- I have no idea if he still works with the company, though. While I saw plenty of lions and sharks on that trip, I have yet to see a honey badger (on any of my trips).

Michael
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 01:55 AM

I was searching for information of GW shark watching near Cape Town and suddenly came on this thread. Would love to see the GW's. Chris, the April diary sounds pretty nice so I am all exited as I plan to go there next April. Have emailed them for pricing/booking.

Does anyone have any info on the sardine run? That's another spectacle I like to see one day.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 02:28 AM

OK - I found another thread on the sardine run with a good link - http://www.shark.co.za/sards3.htm

Seems that is in July.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Sardine run? so that would be another migration. I clicked on the link you gave, Mohammed, but there was little info, do you know anything more?

It is looking more and more that I will have to plan at least three trips to Africa to do everything that I want
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

here's some info - there's actually lots more if you google sardine run
http://www.sardinerun.net/
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 05:34 AM

The sardine run is very difficult to see. I was in Kwazulu-Natal last June/July, and while the sardines are expected to appear over a several week period, the precise date and time at which they will pass a specific site isn't known until soon before arrival. Updates were provided on the radio, but it appeared difficult to time for a casual tourist. A resident, with more flexibility and more time, may be more succussful.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Got to agree with Michael - guess I am jus dreamin!

Actually these sardine migrations and other similar fish species migrations happen regularly in many places in the world. On the Namibian side you get the famous pilchards with the Benguela currents, and then there is something big off Chile every year also. Oz also has fish migrations. I have seen the migrating shoals in the Indian Ocean off Sri Lanka during Dec/Jan months. You get these huge Giant Trevally under these shoals. Once I was diving below a bait ball at just 26m and it was amazing to see this ball of fish above being attacked by huge Spanish Mackerel. Deeper off shore they are followed by the Yellow Fin Tuna. It's really the sheer enormous scale of the South African migration that is mind boggling. Diving with those shoals in SA is very treacherous and only for the very adventourous and highly experienced and skilled divers, because the seas in South Africa are notoriously dangerous and the sharks are also dangerous for some reason.

I checked the shark encounter guys and they already replied me - you don't even need a Scuba Licence to do the cage dive. Wonder if I will get my wifeys permission by next April!

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Mohammed, I used a snorkel to cage dive.

The only time I have ever seen scuba equipment was on TV, like on the terrible "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" show (I had half-hoped the wife would have died so we didn't have to watch her visit these sites -- she's either a moron, or she was edited to appear to be one; her typical question was "really?&quot.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Ha ha

Just last week I saw a programme on TV(can't remember whether it was Nat Geo, Animal Planet or Discovery) where they show this whole GW shark thing, and in one of the scenes they show how things can go wrong sometimes. They show a GWS somehow gets entangled to the cage and ends up with his head and half his body inside the cage, thrashing all over with his tooty mouth wide open! Looked really hairy though the two divers managed a frantic escape and they also freed the shark. Wonder if it was the same Rob Lawrence's boat? Must ask him that.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM

hello enlehman and kak113, hope this thread helps,

Ritu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -