and Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas

Oct 28th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

and Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas

I hope someone can guide us a bit here. Four of us in our early 70's are planning a safari in Tanzania.We did a safari in South Africa about 7 years ago. My questions are mostly related to the accommodations and suitability in the and Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas for people our age. We are pretty mobile even with knee problems and also want to know how comfortable the moveable tents are. We are going the late part of February and beginning of March and are mostly interested in the migration. As of now we would be arriving and spending the first night in Nairobi, then spending 3 nights in the and Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas,
2 nights in the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge and lastly 3 nights at Klein's Camp; Total of 9 nights/10 days. We will be flying back to the US from Nairobi since we are using frequent flyer miles and it's cheaper returning from Nairobi. If anyone can give us any suggestions to how to do this in a more leisurely way. We don't mind some driving if there is something to see along the way.
Oct 29th, 2019, 08:57 AM

I haven't stayed in andBeyond's tents but from the photos they appear to be pretty standard mobile tented camp tents. What are you looking for in terms of "comfortable"? What does that mean to you? There are no stairs or anything that those with knee problems may be worried about and they have your typical beds, not cots or sleeping bags.

In terms of doing this more leisurely, do you know yet what your transfer day from Nairobi to the Serengeti looks like? That could be somewhat of a hassle from an immigration and transiting through multiple airports. I'd want to mitigate that so for me landing in Tanzania rather than Kenya would be worth the price. Specifically: your day one in the Serengeti might actually be spent just getting there. I would want to clarify that with whomever is booking this itinerary for you.

Personally, I think andBeyond's price per person per night is pretty high though, are you committed to paying that? You could find a comparable safari for far less than that....
Oct 29th, 2019, 05:32 PM

I stayed at an andBeyond Under Canvass tent in Botswana three years ago. The tent is equipped with a real bed and toilet. There is a bucket shower and a sink. The staff replenishes the water in the mornings and in the evenings. You definitely experience camping - the noise of the outdoors, natural heating and cooling, etc. - but you also enjoy some of the luxuries. My travel companions and I enjoyed it; we range from ours 30s to early 70s.
Oct 29th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

We are reconsidering the trip for another time when my friends can add a few more days after the safari so as to justify the long flight.
I will keep your suggestions in mind.
Oct 30th, 2019, 12:49 AM

I did a similar trip several years ago, but staying in Serena lodges instead of tents. First night we stayed in Nairobi, then traveled to Amboseli NP before crossing the border at Namanga into Tanzania. Then we flew on Precision Air from Arusha to the airstrip in the Seronera Valley of the Serengeti. Had we not flown we would have stopped first at Ngorongoro Crater, but did that on the way back to Nairobi instead.

If it’s a typical year the wildebeest herds will be in the short grass plains between Seronera and Ngorongoro, not moving much at that time. That will be soon after the birthing season, and the calves will be still small. We saw lots of predators as well as wildebeest, zebra, and various species of antelope. Imagine herds of animals as far as you can see, and that is what it was like. Ngorongoro Crater was a bit of a letdown after that, so it may have been better to see it first.

The flight from Arusha to Serengeti saved us hours of driving over poorly maintained roads. As well as Ngorongoro we stopped at Lake Manyara on the way back to Nairobi.
Nov 6th, 2019, 01:59 PM

We stayed in and Beyond Serengeti under Canvas quite a few years ago. It was much more than just comfortable. Highly recommend it.