Am i travelling too much in 13 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help needed... We are planning to go to Safari during x'mas. Just wonder if below itinerary is too aggressive, plus the missing Serengenti. How will you choose and alter the itinerary. Appreciate your advice.

DAY 1 Terangire
DAY 2 - NGORONGORO
DAY 3 - LAKE MANAYARA
Day 4 - AMBOSELI
Day 5 - AMBOSELI
Day 6 - NAIROBI
DAY 7 - TREETOPS
Day 8 - SAMBURU
Day 9 - SAMBURU
Day 10 - LAKE NAIVASHA
Day 11 - MASAI MARA
Day 12 - MASAI MARA
Day 13-Mara Nairobi
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM

Hi jeaniehk

For me you are travelling way too much! For me, that makes it too expensive and too much time travelling. I started my African travel that way, but came to my senses fairly quickly!

I am not a East Africa fan, so I won't comment on the itinerary, other than narrow it down to 3 camps maybe 4.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 12:31 AM

Hi Jean,
The number of days you have is prety enough. In December Serengeti is the best place to visit since the migration of Gnus concentrate on the southern plains, predators and zebras are in large number. You can follow the your arrangement but incase you include Serengeti you can get into Masai Mara first through the Isbania Gate then Lake Naivasha, Nairobi, Amboseli then Nairobi for your departure.

I am based in East Africa.

Good Luck
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:04 AM

I'm no expert but think it is too much travelling.

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM

Author: kaributz ([email protected])
Date: 08/16/2007, 04:31 am
...incase you include Serengeti you can get into Masai Mara first through the Isbania Gate...

Hi Kaributz,

Please can you give me more information on this. I thought only place allowed to cross the border was from Namanga so always one needs to travel through Arusha to go to and from Serengeti. This option you mention where one can cross from Serengeti to Mara from the Isbania gate is very interesting. Is this something new?
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Lots of traveling. And, you should be visiting the Serengeti during December.

As you seem to be arriving at Tanzania, I would concentrate there with some Kenya:

Day 1 - Arv. JRO - o/n Arusha
Day 2 - Drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater visit - o/n
Day 3 - Morning crater visit; then drive via Oldupai Gorge (w/stop) to central or southern Serengeti - o/n
Day 4 & 5 - Serengeti - o/n
Day 6 - Drive to Manyara - o/n
Day 7 - Drive via Arusha to Namanga; border procedures, change vehicles/guide; drive to Amboseli - o/n (this will be a long day with little game viewing)
Day 8 - Amboseli - o/n
Day 9 - Amboseli - o/n
Day 10 - Fly to NBO; connect to flight to Masai Mara - o/n
Day 11 & 12 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 13 - Fly to Nairobi; afternoon visit Blixen, Giraffe Center, shopping - depart for home.

Amboseli gives you the elephant experience (as Tarangire would, but Dec is not the best month at Tarangire)

Flights will add to cost, but not much and better than some of those long drives.

The Isebania border mentioned above is a good one if you are already in/going to the Western Serengeti and the Masai Mara. Still it's a long day of driving, often requiring an o/n somewhere near Lake Victoria. As you don't need to travel any farther than the Central Serengeti, it's not the best routing.

Also, on your original itinerary you show both Amboseli & Samburu... both for elephants primarily; I certainly wouldn't do both.