Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Am touring Egypt on the Nile - how rough are the waters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Egypt in March and will be spending some time on the Mirage. Is this a nice boat? How rough is the Nile if you have people who are prone to motion sickness?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:56 AM

THE NILE IS VERY CALM.THE MAIN PROBLEM FOR LIGHT SLEEPERS LIKE ME IS THAT WHEN DOCKED THE BOATS ARE IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO EACH OTHER AND THEY RUN THERE GENERATORS ALL NIGHT MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO SLEEP
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Water is flat. I was on A & K Sun BoatIV and had no problem sleeping being docked with generators running in January.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I get seasick even thinking about a boat - but the Nile is so flat, slow and calm - no problem.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good. I'm not a light sleeper so the generators should be no problem. I'll have my folks bring ear plugs!

How are the sights from the boats? I bet the sunsets are beautiful! Do the boats all dock at the same time and have everyone rush to see the sights?
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM

the sunsets and the tranquility while thinking about the history of the nilewere gratifiying. when you dock there will be several other boats also but there is room ashore for all especially with most americans staying away. we went in april 2002, when many said we were crazy with our 2 children and had a great time.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:19 PM
sandi

The sunset at Kom Ombo was outstanding. And often in Luxor people have cocktails on the terrace at the Old Winter Palace to watch the sunset if not from their own boat's upper deck.

As to whether all the boats dock at the same time - depends at which stop. Surprisingly there is a schedule as to when certain boats arrive and have to depart during afternoon stops. As certain boats pull out, others pull in and dock.

The boats owned by Oberoi, Movenpick and Sonesta (and I believe A&K) have priority at the bulkheads. While the other boats, especially for overnight docking, all dock behind those at the bulkheads.

At Luxor, however, Movenpick docks at their own island (Crocodile) where they also have their hotel. The Sonesta and Oberoi boats are again at bulkhead; I believe A&K has a separate mooring spot.

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 02:35 PM

WE WENT ON A SONESTA BOAT AND HAD THE PRESIDENTIAL SUITE. WE WERE DISSAPOINTED WITH THE BOAT HOWEVER THE CREW WERE MOST GRACIOUS. WE CALLED FROM THE BOAT AND BOOKED 2 NIGHTS AT THE OLD WINTER PALACE INSTEAD OF STAYING ON THE BOAT AT LUXOR.AMAZINGLY THE CAPTAIN DID NOT BILL US FOR THOSE 2 NIGHTS ON THE BOAT.IF THE BUDGET ALLOWS GO ON THE OBEROI BOATS THEY ARE NICER THAN ANY WE SAW INCL. SONESTA OR A&K