Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Airfare to Egypt/Jodan - Buy now or later??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip in December to Egypt and Jordan. I found open-jaw tickets from SFO to Amman, and from Cairo to SFO for $1170.

We will be traveling from December 14 - December 29.

I can't tell if this is a good price for the time we're going. Any ideas? Should we buy now or wait? Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
P_M

That isn't a bad price. I live in Austin, TX and I have been pricing the same route (AUS/CAI, then AMM/AUS) and the best deal I found was $1,180. I eventually decided to use frequent flyer miles instead of buying because I think that's as good as it will get.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM

that's an awesome price! I will be going 12/21 - 1/1/08 and the best I've been able to do IAD/CAI is $1650. I haven't gotten them yet but will in a day or so. Although, I am having trouble since we are a small group, but still, the best single ticket I have seen is $1300. I tried IAD/JFK/CAI also and those prices were pretty good, but, a hassle.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Good price, especially over the holidays. I'd buy, as doubt it'll go lower in/out of SFO.

Remember - it can be cold or wet, maybe even snow, in Amman during December.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

sandi - We won't be staying in Amman for long. Maybe a night or two, at the most. It's like the only major airport in Jordan so we figured it'd be cheaper flying to there first.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM

We spent only 2/nts in Jordan on way to Cairo; also as Royal Jordanian offered the best price. Do arrange, if you can ahead of time, to visit Petra for a day... most fascinating. It's an early start and a full day, but a must see. The second day, tour in/around Amman and Jerash... can be done as half-day, then to airport and flight to CAI.

If flying RJ, contact their tour department and ask if they have this special 2/day package for visiting Petra and Amman/Jerash. We did this some years back at about $200-$225/person, including airport transfers, simple airport hotel 2/nts (even the overnight when returning from CAI for early a.m. RJ flight back to the States) with bkfst/dinner and tours; no doubt price maybe higher, but worth it.