Africa suggestions requested, please.

Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
africnow

Africa suggestions requested, please.

Hello All,

I have been researching a trip to Africa but am becoming quite confused with all of the possibilities. Brandywine suggested posting some info here in hopes of getting good suggestions.

First: I am a fairly well travelled mature woman, solo traveller. For Africa I think that I would prefer a good local trip organizer, or a series of short organized trips - Safari (Kruger), Victoria Falls, Johannesburg, Cape Town and so on.

I can travel during the months of July, August or October 2006 or April 2007. I prefer October in general, but am more interested in visiting at the time that I have the greatest chance of seeing the greatest number of animals - including the "big 5" of course.

I am interested in history and culture. The main goal of my trip is viewing African animal life, but with some cultural aspects and some history as well. Having read about the Soweto museum and walking tour I would like to see it. Also the South Africa museum and the cave paintings exhibit. So some city days are a strong possibility as well.

The length of the trip can be anywhere from 8 - 21 days depending mainly on the cost.
I can travel either budget or mid-range. I am 62 - will be 63 by the time I travel - so camping and long treks are limited. I can comfortably walk for 4 - 5 hours, but can not carry a pack of more than 3 kilo - including water. I can sleep easily on a camp bed, but would prefer not to sleep on the ground - too hard to get up in the morning.

In cities I am happy to use hostels (with linen included) but prefer a private room. If with ensuite, that is nice but not essential.

Most important - I am open to suggestions!
Also - I smoke.

Any and all suggestions or ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM

Sorry if I missed it - would you rather travel in a group or would you prefer to travel independently, meeting new fellow travellers at each camp but not actually travelling WITH any of them?
Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
africnow

Hi Kavey,

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
I am open to a series of short organized tours. That is, I would like a small group for the Safari Lodge, camp, whatever - not a private tour. Too expensive.

Then a short group tour to Victoria Falls, perhaps.

In cities I am pretty independent, but I understand from my research that it is better to take a 1 day tour to Soweto and the museum? I also like 1/2 and 1-day tours to out-of-the-way places, from city locations.

In general I am pretty flexible, but definitely not interested in a long organized tour that dosen't allow for personal idiosyncrancies...

Thanks for asking and letting me clarify that!

Feb 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Regarding the 1/2 and 1 day tours to Soweto ~~ Are these easy to book? Is there any real difference in which person/company you use? Am I correct in thinking this doesn't need to be booked in advance from home? Thanks
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:46 PM

Hello,

If you only have one night in Joburg and want to do a Soweto tour, I'd advise booking it in advance -- I tried to book one when I arrived (for that afternoon as I was leaving the following morning for Maun) and found out that it was too late.

If you have two nights in Joburg, you can book the day you arrive for a tour on the following day.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread