Search

"Africa Adventure Planners"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Africa Adventure Planners"

Has anyone used this safari company for a safari? The itinerary looks good and the price is very reasonable, but I can't find any testimonials or reviews, which makes me a little nervous. They also want to be paid in cash only on arrival, which also seems a little odd to me.
Any information on this company would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
sandi

why not list the link so we can take a look. there are so many companies with similar names we might find something the sounds the same but isnt.

also list the safari itinerary in which you are interested. we can evaluate.

payment by cash is not unusual at all.

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Are you saying they're not asking for any deposit? You can pay for your entire safari in cash on arrival?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

www.aaplanners.com is their web site.
The itinerary is as follows.......
Day 1: Arrive Nairobi and stay overnight at the Stanley Hotel.
Day 2: Amboselli. Ol Tukai Lodge
Day 3: Amboselli. Ol Tukai Lodge
Day 4: Aberdare National Park. Overnight at the Ark.
Day 5: Lake Nakuru, Lion Hill Lodge.
Day 6: Masai Mara. Mara Sopa Lodge
Day 7: Masai Mara. Mara Sopa Lodge
Day 8: return to Nairobi and board flight back to Canada.

They are requiring a 30% deposit and then payment only in cash on arrival. No travellers cheques or credit cards accepted.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:44 AM
sandi

stymic -

What time of year are you planning this safari?

Apparently you have a short time only for this trip, but as indicated it seems you'll be doing long drives.

From Nairobi to Amboseli is a good 3-1/2 to 4-hrs. Same on the return to NBO before another 2+ hrs. to Aberdare. Be sure you have lunch in NBO before heading north.

Then from Aberdare to Lk. Nakuru is a long drive about 3-hrs. The kicker will be from Nakuru to the Mara of about 6-hrs especially considering where the Sopa Lodge is located. Unfotunately, there are no flights from Lk. Nakuru to the Mara.

I would, at least, try for a flight on your return from the Mara and arrange to do some sightseeing in the afternoon before your homebound flight that evening.

How much are they charging for this itinerary?

And, yes, 30% deposit and cash only is very usual for in-country outfitters. However, I'm not familiar with this company. Though not to say who they are, how good, reputable - there are just so many outfitters. Ask them for referrals of previous clients with whom you can email inquiries.

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Is this a private or group itinerary that they provided you? How many are in your party? What's the cost and time of year?

The payment schedule you've described (30% deposit/balance in cash on arrival) isn't all that unusual though some operators do accept TC's on arrival as well. If you feel uncomfortable, why not contact some of operators often recommended here for a comparison quote?

I also noticed that they're not a member of KATO (Kenya Association of Tour Operators). KATO membership is voluntary so that doesn't automatically mean that the operator isn't reputable, but I think I'd be more inclined to book with one that was.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

We are going January 27, 2006. It's a private safari for two people. The price was $1300.00 U.S. per person. Would any of you recommend eliminating one of the parks and spending an additional day at another one. If so, which park should we eliminate?