Advice on selfdrive family trip to Namibia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Namibia for 5 weeks from late june 2011. We have two boys aged 7 and 2(almost 3).

We have travelled to Africa(and Namibia) before, but never with the youngest one, so it will be an entirely different experience

We will propably rent a 4x4 with a roof tents to keep costs down,meaning that we can camp as often as possible. A 4x4 is quite expensive, but propably neccesary..
Does anyone know some good car rental companies?

We want to see Swakopmund, Soussesvlei, Damaraland,Etosha and the Caprivi. And maybe we will cross into Kasane, Botswana.We will not be going down south to Fish River and Luderitz

I interested in hearing about some good places to stay with children? Any recommendations?
And any ideas for an itinerary would be great to?
Do we have to book all the accomodation before or can we just take from day to day. I know it is high season, but how bad is it?

I think i will try to work with Cardboard Box or Chameleon Safaris for an itinerary. Any comments on them?

Hope to get some much needed advice

Jes
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM

If you haven't already done so, have a look at www.safaridrive.com. Safari Drive is a UK-based company that provides Land Rovers with roof-top tents for self-drives throughout Southern Africa. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. We have used them for self-drives in Namibia, Botswana, Kenya and Tanzania, and we are currently working with them on a self-drive through Botswana and Zambia. We have found them to be excellent, which is why we keep returning to them. They will do everything for you, including (if you wish) designing an itinerary for your family. We prefer to set up our own itineraries and then ask for their input, which they are happy to give.They also provide in-country back-up during your trip, which we find very reassuring. Their website is excellent and will provide you with some sample itineraries for Namibia. They also design trips especially for families with young children.

Sossusvlei, Etosha and (if you are going to Kasane) Chobe might combine well as a self-drive - we have done all three and they are fabulous.

I should add that the main challenge of self-driving with a toddler will be keeping tabs on your younger son on the campsites. The sites (in Etosha and Chobe) are not fenced and predators wander freely through the campgrounds. You might want to have a look at Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in SA, where the campsites are fenced and which combines well with a trip to the dunes.

You will need to book the vehicle and your accommodation well in advance, especially campsites. We are booking now for August 2011.

Here is the link to our most recent (2009) self-drive. Robin

http://bert-and-bin.smugmug.com/Trav...38901400_BHybf
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Hi Jes - we did a similar itinerary in February of this year (not camping though)....

Windhoek
Sossusvlei
Swakopmund
Cape Cross
Palmveg
Etosha
Rundu
Caprivi
Kasane

We picked the car up in Windhoek and dropped it off in Katima (near the Bots border) - as I understand it it is very expensive to cross the border with a rental car (as it is the drop off is expensive as well).

I used a terrific agent out of Swakopmund - Gemma Dry of Discovery-Namibia. She added immeasurably to our itinerary and hotel choices (our hotels were a range of really reasonable family style accommodation to a couple of splurges)

She has great knowledge of Namibia and is a camper herself so knows lots of self drive tips

[email protected]

Website is under construction right now so up and down

http://www.discover-namibia-safaris.com/
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Hello

We just finished up three weeks in Namibia. After being in Kasane for a few day and on the Zambezi Queen, we got a ground transfer to Katima where we picked up a car. We drove the Caprivi strip to Etosha, then down to Windhoek to Sossusvlei to Swakopmund. Flew out of Walvis Bay to Cape Town. Namibia was packed with busloads of Italians on holiday. There were very few vacancies anywhere so you really do need to book well in advance. We found Namibia to be very expensive compared to South Africa.

Also, beware Namibia's provisional reservation system. You do not have a reservation until it is paid for. So when using any travel agent make sure you actually have a room. We had two experiences in August where we had booked and paid for a room only to
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Sorry ... something happened during my response to post it before its time.

... paid for a room only to have it cancelled. You really need to work with an experienced travel agent who will jump in and solve the problem for you if it occurs.

Namibia is in its infancy regarding tourism. The entire system seems to be devised for the benefit of tour operators who fill lots of rooms. Many of these operators hold room blocks in the hope of selling them later so you are told everything is booked, when, in fact, it is not really booked. Very strange way of doing business. You really do need a good travel agent. Gemma Dry is very good.