Search

Safari on Horseback!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Nancy

Safari on Horseback!

Has anyone taken a safari on horseback in South Africa or Botswana? I am planning a May 2003 itinerary and hope to fit horses in somehow. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Sheila

Dear Nancy,<BR><BR>I would consider Chelinda Lodge on the Nyika Plateau in Malawi.<BR><BR>http://www.nyika.com/chelinda.html<BR><BR>I think May would be good for wildflowers. Check the website. There are regular flight to/from Johannesberg to Lilongwe, Malawi, and I would guess good service from Maun, Botswana. Enjoy!

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the horseback mobile safari by CCAfrica/Afro Ventures - I think they offer it..<BR>If not them, it's either Penduka or Karibu.<BR><BR>Ingrid
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:48 AM

I highly recommend safari on horseback. It is a totally different experience as you can get much closer to the animals - they see you as a four-legged creature.<BR><BR>Good luck!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Although it sounds like a lot of fun, isn't it more dangerous than riding in an open vehicle?<BR><BR>The lions would see you as a juicy piece of meat on a horse...<BR><BR>What are your thoughts on this?<BR><BR>Ingrid
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 06:49 AM

In response to Ingrid, yes they do. <BR><BR>That is why in most cases, one of the requirements of a full-fledged horseback safari in Botswana is that you be an experienced rider. (One cool safari that I would love to do - if I could ever afford it - is to go on elephant back - there are no problems there!)<BR><BR>In my case, it was a 2-hour ride alongside the Zambezi river trail outside Vic Falls (not far from civilization) and so predators were not that numerous so I, as the novice, was able to go. But the guide said they had had to move quickly several weeks before as some lion did follow them!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:11 PM

WOW!!!<BR><BR>That would be really scary. I went to one of the tour operator's site to see what type of disclaimers they have on these horseback safaris..<BR><BR>They talk about how you have to be experienced and must be able to gallop away in a moment's notice - it really says that. They also say they are not responsible if you are chewed, stomped on, maimed and/or killed, etc.<BR><BR>I grew up with horses, but I would be a little nervous doing this type of safari. <BR><BR>The problem is that you don't know how horses will react to lions and other animals. It could be dangerous if the horse bucks you off - then what do you do? Horses are just not that smart, and can be very spooky.<BR><BR>I hope someone posts here if they have been on one.<BR><BR>The elephant back one looks interesting, although riding an elephant is not comfortable at all. We rode on top of an elephant on a jungle trek in Thailand for a day. It was fun, BUT we felt we were going to slide right out of the seat at any moment.<BR><BR>Ingrid <BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:14 PM

oops<BR><BR>I missed the line about you going as a novice on one....<BR>what animals did you see? How did you feel while you were on the horse?<BR><BR>Was it English or Western saddle?<BR><BR>Ingrid
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Hi Ingrid...<BR><BR>It was Western (I'm a Canadian girl so English riding would not do! - I'd be sure to fall off for sure!)<BR><BR>We saw antelope (primarily gazelle), zebra, warthog, monkeys, and the coolest - buffalo (we did get SO close to the buffalo, it was a bit frightening).<BR><BR>One warthog was so calm with us, he just sat with his back legs straight out behind him. Quite cute!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:59 PM

That sounds like fun!<BR>Western for me too!!! You have a lot more to hold on to.<BR>I don't know how people are able to ride on English saddles. Too refined for me - hehe<BR><BR>Ingrid