Search

Inside the pyramids - Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside the pyramids - Cairo

Would love to a have insight about what it is like inside a pyramid? We have heard your back will be aching for days afterwards. Do you recomend touring? Is it worth the aching back? If recommended, which one(s)should we visit? How long does a tour inside take? Thanks
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Oh Please. It's a once in a lifetime experience that 300 people a day get to enter the king's tomb at the Great pyramid.There is no tour you climb it on your own.My 6&8 year old children did it.It takes 5 minutes to get to the burial chamber.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 04:40 AM
rfb

The degree of pain you may experience has a lot to do with your physical condition. If you're an athlete in top form, you'll probably have no discomfort. If you're a couch potato, well, expect to pay for the experience.

As to which pyramid to see, you really probably don't get a choice. One is always closed. The great pyramid has a limited number of visitors daily. If you want tickets you must arrive very early or arrange to have somebody buy the ticket for you. If you have the opportunity to go into the great pyramid, by all means do so. I had it to myself for 20 minutes one time and it was a spectacular experience. You walk into this one then climb up a long ramp which is roughtly 4 feet by 4 feet square. To enter the chambers you must also go through long low 'tunnels'; the discomfort that you will likely experience afterwards will be in the thighs unless you regularly do a duck walk at home. To my mind, the discomfort is insignificant compared to the experience.

When you leave, do not try to walk forward bent over; turn around and back down the ramp. This is MUCH easier and will eliminate the probability of bumping your head or scraping your back on the roof of the tunnel.

Khafre's pyramid is much easier into and out of but not terribly exciting once you're in. It is, however, better than nothing.

Haven't been in Menkaure's.

Old Sep 25th, 2004, 09:41 AM

There is also issue of claustrophobia - if you have a problem with this, then the walk is probably not for you.

Anyone in average condition should be able to do it - I can't imagine back actually aching for days (I am in rotten shape and my back did not ache). It is stuffy, crowded, and not separate up and down paths - so bottlenecks can occur where you are in a traffic jam in an uncomfortable position.

You must get there early - and even if you don't walk all the way up to burial chamber, you can go inside for a bit on a wide path that still gives you an inside-the-pyramid experience.

It is not a tour - you walk in and walk out.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I was in my mid 20's when I went inside the pyramid...that was 7 years ago. I am quite petite (just 5ft) so I didn't feel any discomfort in going in and out...although as someone had mentioned, you need to be patient with the bottleneck. Definitely not for someone claustrophobic. I did find the air inside was very stale since there is no ventilation and by the time i went in it was around 3pm to 4pm in the afternoon. The thought of going inside the pyramid is exciting but once inside you really don't see much as everything is already in the museum. At that time, I didn't really think it was worth the effort to go in especially since there was nothing in there. However in retrospect, I'm glad I went inside the pyramid since at this point I have developed a back condition that will never allow me the option to do it again.

Old Sep 26th, 2004, 04:03 PM

I'm 6 foot tall and broke my back in 1976 in motorcycle accident.Had NO problem with 5 minute trek to the tomb.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:10 AM

I went in with a woman who worked at the pyramids she simply bent over, placed one hand on the ceiling of the tunnel and moved through it quite rapidly. I did as she did and had no worries of hitting my head and could move along great. Of course that all depends on how many people are in front of you and how fast they are moving.