A warning to those considering a Buy Back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...instead of renting a 4x4. Drive South Africa advertises a Buy Back scheme on their website. But when the buyer gets to Africa, they divert them to Twende. Problem here is that Trende went out of business in October, and all these people on self drive (with expensive, above market value vehicles they purchased) are stuck with vehicles that won't sell anywhere near the contracted Buy-Back.

On top of that, DSA says they have no relationshop with Twende and refuses to assist anyone who has been stuck with this problem. But be assured, DSA most likely received the commissions from Twende for dragging you into a Bait and Switch deal.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Interesting scenario, which I don't quite comprehend...
Consumer buys a vehicle from a company, company has an agreement with them to purchase the vehicle on its return x number of days and or months later at an agreed price. DSA is obviously the broker and Twende the supplier...

In my opinion a silly system, which if you as a consumer are enticed to participate in, shame on you.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Mkhonzo, this is done quite often in Europe. People who have done it there probably assume that it would work as well in SA.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Huh! DSA represented themselves not as a broker, but as the seller(and buyer)on their website and in communications with people interested in the program. Like I said, a bait and switch. I suppose it doesn't matter much to you, but there are lots of people that got caught up in this. Made plane reservations to return home after their safari, but no one to buyback the vehicle (or return their calls for that matter so they would know what is happening. Plunk down $15,ooo of your own money on an overpriced buy back and expect to get back $9 or so depending on the length of the safari, but no buyers and tell me how you feel. You now own a vehicle in a market where there are few buyers, all looking for deals, want to go home, and everyday you stay in SA is costing you more money. Defeats the purpose of ever hitching your wagon to their program. But I suppose you don't mind getting screwed out of your money once in a while.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

DSA just decided to get out of the Buy-Back Scheme business. 3 months after Twende disappeared.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Luangwablondes, I hope the "you" in your post isn't referring to me. Certainly, I think that what these companies did was reprehensible and do not way condone what they did. I don't suppose that those persons caught up in it have any legal recourse. I was just replying to Mkhonzo's lack of comprehension on the matter by pointing out that this type of transaction is often done in Europe.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

ShayTay

Please pardon me. It wasn't directed at you.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

In the past, I probably did not state my reservations strongly enough about these companies to those that bothered to ask me. So I probably am making up for lost time. Right now DSR is doing some sort of tap dance to recover their image, but it comes much too late after the fact to help so many that have returned to SA to turn in their vehicles and sell back to Twende which no longer exists. So why does DSR feel obligated to assist- maybe because financially they know the few that they may help is going to cost them minimally this late in the game. The upside is they advertise they assisted those that came to them with resale problems- neglecting to state how they helped and at what price.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Thanks for helping me understand...

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

3 cheers for the power of the internet. DSR had claimed they are out of the Buy Back business for 2 years(thanks for telling us now). After much recent harassment, they changed their website and no longer offer the the scheme. Hopefully no one else will be seduced to the dark side and buy via them.