A good comeback for a rude question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What whould you say to someone who asked how much your safari costs? It is expensive- Botswana, but I think the quwstion is rude and I need a comeback.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 05:37 AM
sallylouise

I'd say: "Why do you want to know?" That usually shuts them up!

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 06:39 AM
sandi

Definitely "why do you want to know"

But expensive is relative from one person to another.

If the question is coming from a close friend with whom you're somewhat or completely comfortable discussing this subject, you can tell them. They may be considering a similar trip.

But, if from a complete stranger, or someone whom as you say/feel are "rude" to be asking, you don't need to say anything; rather direct them to your travel agent/operator/planner... let them inquire directly.

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:03 AM

It's funny that you mention that, because EVERYONE has been asking how much my safari cost. They've never asked about other vacations, but now everyone is asking...
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM

If it´s a Fodorite asking, you should tell. In fact, you should tell before being asked.

On a serious note, I find it a perfectly normal question coming from a person who’s interested in travelling to Africa. It might be rude if it’s said in a “how much are you spending on such a silly thing when you should renovate your scabby kitchen” – tone. Then, telling the exact price could be a good shock therapy.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I've come across this a bit too - from those who are just being snoopy to those who are thinking a safari might be a good vacation option. So my answers vary, but in general I start off by explaining that it's hard to put a price on lifelong memories, and in terms of the trip expenses it was excellent value. Then if it is appropriate to delve into actual cost, I am okay with that because usually the "snoopers" are put off by this point in the conversation.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:32 AM

I just say that I'm using up my children's inheritance as they are well educated, have no bills and make 10 times as much as I do.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 09:28 AM

"There's a range of prices. Cost depends on many factors, so if you're thinking about a safari it's best to check with a travel agent or search web sites."

You could also say safaris start at about .....

Or you could just say "A lot." and leave it at that. If the questioner persists say "I'd rather not say."
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 09:34 AM

"More than a breadbox."

I usually go for the range answer as suggested by Luisah, which is a true statement.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 09:51 AM

a friend asked how much per night we paid on safari. when i told her she said i could stay at her house for that much. i said when she has elephants, lions, giraffe and zebras running around her yard, i'd consider it.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM

It depends on who is asking. Assuming they are just wondering if they could ever afford an African safari, I'd want to let them know it's possible to do this at various price levels. The question in and of itself is not rude. It depends on why they are asking and the context. But my goal is always to encourage as many people who show an interest to visit Africa.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM

African Safari....PRICELESS ! ! !
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Ms. Manners, my guru, sez that you should never answer rudeness with rudeness. "I don't remember." works well.

Or deflect the question by asking if they are interested in one & then give travel agent info.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM

I expect people to ask how much a particular safari cost. So, when I recently invited people to join our next one, I got in first and said 'you won't have much change left from X grand.' They replied, 'do you think we've got a money tree?', but they accepted. Good friends

John
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Rude question - rude answer is: If you have to ask, you can't afford it. I don't get affended when someone ask me how much something, anything, costs. If they make a big deal or such of it, that's their hang up to deal with. I think most people ask about safari costs because they have no idea and are just curious. I try to couch it in terms of "well, it is expensive, can be as much as $500 a day per person. But also can be done for a lot less."
regards - tom
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM
santharamhari

Depends on the purpose of the question....

If they want to go on a safari genuinely and you know them well enough- you should give them the whole range of options for them to pick and choose.

If it is a nosy question, i wont bother answering them.....

Hari

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM

I've been asked the same question, but have never been quizzed about the cost of other trips. I usually say that I can't remember the exact cost, because there was airfare and other costs in addition to the actual safari, but if they want to remind me and I'll check my records. No one has ever followed up. I, personally, don't think people are meaning to be rude -- they're just curious. After all a safari is a pretty exotic holiday.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Even if it's a genuine question coming from someone who is interested in going on safari rather than being nosy about my finances whether or not I tell them depends on who they are:

If I'm asked by a good friend, no problem. I'll tell them the price but also spend a lot of time explaining what the options are for different price bands, what one can expect from those experiences, why we have made the choices we have for the trip and so on.

If I'm asked by a work colleague, I may not share so much information. Firstly, if the person asking is on a significantly lower salary, regardless of the fact that they did the asking, it can become a cause of contention if they feel resentful about not being able to afford a similar trip.

Of course, that's not always the case and I've had work colleagues who have also become good friends and haven't minded talking to them about this kind of stuff if they have asked. That said, one colleague (who was on a similar salary to me, actually about 1k more) did ask and then felt really bad about herself because her finances were in such disarray that she couldn't afford something like that - of course, I tried to point out that the money she spent per month on clothes, handbags, shoes, CDs, cigarettes and alcohol would easily add up to a bloody good holiday budget but that didn't sink in. She was never, ever snippy with me about it but she did often fall into a minor depression about being in similar circumstances (we were born in same year, did same job, almost same salary) and yet being in such different financial situations.

But I remember one colleague of mine who earned quite a bit less, asked someone else (on a similar salary to me, I think) about the cost of their extravagant Caribbean trip (so not one of my safaris that time) and from that point on she'd drop barbed comments into the conversation now and then along the lines of "well we can't all afford to hob nob with the celebrities, can we?" and the like!

And if I ever get the feeling it's just to be nosy about my finances I simply ask why they want to know. So far, no one has had the brass to continue by pretending they are interested in doing a similar trip so they usually laugh and drop it at that point.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I will tell anyone who asks <i>exactly</i> what it costs and feel as though it is a great lead in to talk about the trip that I LOVE to talk about!

I have no problem with telling anyone what anything costs though, I feel that most people just want to know ballpark what a trip like that would cost.

I just loved some of the responses to this question though, such as Nyamera's, Dennis', countingdown and safarimama's!! They were all so priceless, gave me a good morning smile! Once I find some time again to do needlework, I think I will have to embrodier safarimama's answer in a 'sign' and put it up on the wall - loved it!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Lynda
I think that some people do indeed just want to know how much the trip costs through genuine interest but I know for sure that there are those who ask purely to be nosy about other peoples' finances or because they are already harbouring misconceptions about that person's finances, priorities and spending habits... it's those people I think several of us feel are being rude by asking - not those who have a genuine, honest interest in the trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -