6 countries

Jun 1st, 2003, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

6 countries

which 6 countries are a must-see in the middle east, in a period of 10 days?
Jun 1st, 2003, 12:09 AM

Why stop at 6 countries??? With a couple more you can probably see each and every one of them, from a plane, at least.

How about Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, the Israeli-occupied territories and Saudi Arabia???

If you do care to slow down a little and perhaps see only a couple countries, then I think Jordan and United Arab Emirates (Dubai) would be a better choice.
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM
sandi

Fate - 10 days? Boy they sure are pushing these kids, they might be young, but! - you barely get to one and you're out of there if you want to cover at least 6 countries.

But keep the fate!!!! I'll work on it - have been to a few myself - strangely the budget isn't the problem, but the 10 days! Wow!

Will get back to you later.

Jun 1st, 2003, 08:59 AM

Agree with the sentiment of the others - this is simply silly, but if you are really just into clocking up the countries for some record breaking purpose- go to the UAE and treat each state as a separate country, and in Dubai go out to the desert and cross Oman and back into Dubai again - no border control for this stretch. You can also do Beirut and Damascus without a flight - $50 taxi each way (so I have read recently) + visa to go from Beirut to Damascus.
For must sees - Cairo would be definitely top of my list for cities. Dubai is good if you like modern growing cities, the sea and the gold souk an added attraction. Beirut has some great scenery - Mt Lebanon on a clear winter day with snow on top with the Med in the foreground. Beirut has also the best food in the region as the Lebanese are some of the best restauranteurs in the world. With its current rebuilding it would be one of the most interesting places to go to as well. Bahrain is a bit of a nothing place. I have heard a lot of positives about Oman from expats that have lived there.
Jun 1st, 2003, 01:13 PM
sandi

Fate: - Who is this (are these) teacher/s who came up with the idea considering the "world we live in".

The to/from TLV can be a problem, as there are few flights between Israel and Arab countries - except Egypt, Jordan, Turkey & Ethiopia. So while you can get into/out of TLV you have to transport (by air) thru Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, etc.

Certainly you can do all the countries on the Saudi peninsula - Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi, Yemen, etc. but I don't think that's what they're thinking of for students and parents.

You can arrive TLV (Israel), fly to CAI (Egypt), fly to Aqaba or AMM(Jordan), drive into & thru Lebanon (as long as the steel has stopped flying) and onto Syria, fly from DAM to IST (Turkey) - and from there back to TLV, if they must. That's the 6-countries that I think the teacher is likely thinking of.

But for 10 days (excluding travel to/from? I hope) you'll be spending more time traveling (getting to/from airports or on the road and thru border passport/visa control) than time to actually see anything and you're going to have a bunch of evil kids and frustrated parents.

The students should be the ones to define what they feel fit into the below categories - Historical, Sacred, Geological - it's called "research", then the contries where they're located and how to get to see them all - but I'll get you started with some ideas:

Historical sites: - Egypt - Pyramids & Sphinx; Jordan - Petra and Jerash; Lebanon - Balbec (sp); Syria - Palmyra; Turkey - Aya Sofia in IST, Ephesus in Kusadasi.

Sacred Sites: - Israel - Temple Mount (Western Wall and Al Aqsa Mosque), Church of the Holy Sephlucar (hey, my spelling is off) and more and more; Turkey - Blue Mosque, Mosque of Suleyman (sp), Konya (home of shrine of Mevlana of the "whirling dervishes").

Geographical Sites: - Turkey - Goreme Valley in Capadoccia, Pamukkale (mineral rich volcanic cliffs); Israel - The Dead Sea and Masada.

Housing can be in 2*-3* hotels; transportation on land via private bus; Passports have to be obtained, if not already; VISAs may be required for some countries; entrance fees to churches (religious sites) are usually free, others vary by country. Most hotels will include at least a continental breakfast; believe you'll find familiar franchises in all of these countries - McD's, Pizza Hut, etc. You'll need a guide knowledgeable for all countries to travel with you, or one in each country (the latter is more likely) who has a good handle on the English language; unless you have someone travel with you from the States and then you have to include the Guide's airfare, daily fee, room and board and food.

You have to be prepared for every possible contingency as to the health of the students - allergies, food, medicines.

Got no prices! Group airfares can be obtained as well as student discounts; time of year can impact these and hotel prices as well. Suggest best time to travel is Spring or Fall, but avoid holy times as Easter, Passover, Ramadan -weather can also vary greatly between these countries.

Lots of luck!

Jun 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

My sentiments exactly about the duration and requirements of the trip. Thanks to all of you. Sandi, I will be waiting for your reply. Again, thanks a bunch to everybody.
Jun 1st, 2003, 04:30 PM
sandi

Fate - see if the info I sent works and I'm sure other posters have their ideas. Again, lots of luck!

Search this Thread