5 days johannesburg - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after our month in tanzania (safari, horse riding at the kili, beach) we'll have 5 days in jo'burg before going on to nzl. what should we do? rent a car and go to kruger? go bird watching (never done, but sounds fun)? is the sa side of the kalahari worth visiting (i love deserts)? any other ideas - it does not need to be very spectacular (we would like to avoid tourist traps), rather laid back, see some of the real country, landscape and people. we were told to go to cape town, but i am unsure, i get bored of cities quickly. any thoughts about joburg itself? thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
santharamhari

In my opinion, Cape Town is one of the nicest cities you can imagine....so much to do........i would rather go there vs Joburg.....you can easily get away from all the tourist zones without realizing it...

Another option, is to just fly from Joburg to one of the game reserves in the sabi sands and do another safari.....you would get the best possible Leopard viewing opportunity there.........

If i were you, i would never consider 5 days in Joburg.......but you can get other opinions..

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Fly to Upington, pick up rental car and drive to Kgalagadi NP, a Kalahari park, with much different landscape than you'll see in Tanzania. Also, it can be visited on a self-drive safari, which in my view, is much more fun than sitting in the back of a car and being driven around. Very reasonable lodging inside the park. Check out www.sanparks.org

I am visiting in July.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the parl suggestion! this is a good lead! kerstin
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM

If you're there for a Sunday, do not miss a few hours at the Rosebank Flea Market for great African curios.

James
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Hi

I have posted a trip report with some pictures and links form Johannesburg on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/johannesburg_...frica_2004.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there. I would recommend the Apartheid museum, Constitution Hill, Soweto etc

Do you need some advice when it comes to Kili? I went there in 2003 and I have posted my trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/kilimanjaro_index.htm

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures