The Central Highlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Handicrafts: Ayacucho has retablos—three-dimensional scenes of religious and historical events. Quinua has ceramic workshops. The Mantaro Valley has Mates Burilados, silver filigree, and alpaca textiles.
Highland Cuisine: Enjoy the sublime delights of freshly caught trout, pachamanca (herb-roasted meats, potatoes, and vegetables cooked in an earthen oven), and papa a la huancaína (potatoes covered in a spicy cheese sauce).
Market Day: Villagers trek in with their goods ready to hawk and trade. Head to the Mantaro Valley and there's a market every day.
World's Second-Highest Train: It's no longer number one, but you can still chug your way from Lima to 4,782 meters (15,685 feet) before dropping down to the valleys surrounding Huancayo.
Jungle Heat: Drop down to Chanchamayo, near Tarma, to escape the dry highland air and enjoy the soothing warmth of the high jungle.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe