- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- many amenities
- great restaurant with breakfast and lunch or dinner included
- cooking class and tea time included
- fantastic service
- luxury costs
Check Rates from our Partners
Sumaq Hotel Review
The only five-star offering in Aguas Calientes, this large hotel sits at the edge of town alongside the Vilcanota River and offers all the amenities and high level of service you would expect. Upscale and comfortable, it features huge rooms, all with wood-beam ceilings, TVs, excellent mattresses, and some with jacuzzi tubs. Add to this an elegant restaurant with Peruvian fusion cuisine that can easily stand up to the best Lima has to offer and excellent service with a smile. Sumaq means "beautiful" in Quechua, and the name is apt. Renovations are planned to begin in 2013 to enhance the elegance of the common areas and rooms, as well as the spa. The work will proceed in stages to avoid disturbing guests. Prices include a breakfast buffet and lunch or dinner. Also included is a cooking class where guests can learn to make a signature dish and cocktail such as cebiche and the famous pisco sour. Looking for an extra special way to connect with the ancient culture of Peru? Ask about arranging a traditional Andean wedding or a despacho, an ancient ritual to honor the earth (Pachamama).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Peru - August 24 to Sept 15
As always, I am so grateful for the reports, advice, and wealth of knowledge available
on this forum when I start my trip planning. Read more
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
This time we are really retiring!
Just got back from SEA and back at work and already planning our retirement trip next fall to South America.
Mid-sixties, active, healthy, husband speaks ok Spanish. Read more
· News & Features
This year marks the hundredth anniversary of Machu Picchu's "discovery" by Yale University historia... Read more
The Inca Trail is one of the world’s signature outdoor excursions.... Read more