- Discover Ancient Kingdoms Hiram Bingham "discovered" Machu Picchu in 1911. Your first glimpse of the fabled city will be your own discovery, and every bit as exciting.
- The Trail The four-day hike of the Inca Trail from near Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu is Peru's best-known outdoor expedition. Spaces fill up quickly, but never fear tour operators have opened up some alternative treks.
- Ye Olde Technology It was the 15th century, yet the Inca made the stones fit perfectly without mortar. The sun illuminates the windows at the solstice, and the crops grow in an inhospitable climate. And they did it all without bulldozers, tractors, or Google Earth.
- Mystery Mystics, shamans, spiritualists, astrologers, and UFO spotters, professionals and wannabes, flock to this serene region to contemplate history's secrets.
- Majestic Scenery The area's stunning mountain landscapes surround you.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More