Near the small village of Bellavista you can explore amazing underground lava tubes. The mile-long tunnels, tall enough to walk through, were created when flowing lava cooled more quickly on the surface than below, forming a crust that enclosed an underground labyrinth. To reach the tunnels from Puerto Ayora, head north on the road to Bellavista; turn east at the cross street and walk about a mile until you find a farm with a sign that announces "los túneles". A small fee is collected by the owner, who also provides flashlights.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I was pleasantly surprised by my one week stay at La Selva Jungle Lodge near Coca in Ecuador. After spending the night in Quito we t... Read more
We recently returned from one of our greatest adventures ever; a 4-night trek to Machu Picchu, tour of the Sacred Valley, followed b... Read more