Shopping in Quito
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Quito's best shopping area is the New City's Mariscal district. Bounded by Avenidas Amazonas, 6 de Diciembre, Patria, and Colón, the neighborhood is a tightly packed collection of shops and boutiques. Items are reasonably priced, though they don't rival the outlying markets for bargains and color. The quality, however, is often superior. Many stores throughout Quito are closed Saturday afternoon and Sunday, but most shopping malls are open all week.
Look for brightly painted balsa-wood birds made in El Oriente and cedar carvings from highland villages. Wool and cotton sweaters, shawls, and tapestries vary in quality and price, as do leather goods.
Browse Quito Shopping
Browse Quito Shopping By Location
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe