The Southern Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Scenery: The Carretera Austral, a dusty dirt road blazed through southern Chile by former military dictator Augusto Pinochet, has opened up one of the most beautiful places in the world to tourists. Rent a car, preferably a four-wheel-drive truck or jeep, and soak it all in.
Glaciers: To watch a chunk of ice break off the glaciers near Mount San Valentín and fall with a thundering splash into the lake below is reason enough for a trip to Laguna San Rafael National Park.
Fishing: Fly-fishing fanatics were among the first to explore this area thoroughly. You'll be able to step right outside your door for great fishing at any number of lodges. A short boat trip will bring you to isolated spots where you won't run into another soul for the entire day.
Rafting and kayaking: The Futalefeu River is Class V-plus. That's raft speak for very fast-moving water. In fact, this river is considered one of the fastest in the world.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's