- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For remote travel in the Amazon, a small backpack is the most efficient way to carry your gear. Plan for drenching downpours by bringing sufficient plastic bags, especially for important items. Specific things to consider packing for an off-the-grid Amazon vacation are: water bottle, filter, and purification tablets, sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, a good medical kit, knife, lightweight gold-miner's hammock (rede de garimpeiro), mosquito netting, sheet, 3 yards of ¼-inch rope, tent (if you're planning to camp), rain poncho, light shorts, pants (important for warding off pests while hiking), jacket, flashlight, batteries, matches, earplugs, sunglasses, and a waterproof camera case (good old plastic bags work, too!).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe