- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Salar de Uyuni
The Salar is the obvious draw, and best seen and appreciated by a drive across it. In the middle of the flats you will find the Isla del Pescado (Fish Island) or Incahuasi, which has great views of the vast expanse of white and the distant hills, framed by the gigantic cactus that grow here. You can't stay here, but there is a restaurant run by the owners of Mongo's in La Paz.
This trip is enough in itself, but many people combine it with (and most tours include) a visit to the grotto Galaxy Cave, formed by the explosion of hot lava into a freezing lake and a detour down to the Laguna Colorada (Red Lake) and Laguna Verde (Green Lake) close to the Chilean border. It's well worth it. The two lakes, in the Eduardo Aboroa Reserve, are a haven for birds, and provide some of the most striking scenery in Bolivia. Get there in the afternoon for the full, colorful, effect.
Salar de Uyuni at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe